flash727

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
Just got done putting together my first build and well, I have a problem. When i hit the power button all i hear is one short low beep and thats all no fans spinning nothing. The motherboard power light is on tho.

P5b e motherboard
OCZ StealthXStream 600W ps
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
OCZ Gold 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800

thank you in advance.

You should try getting the system to POST using the minmum necessary, CPU/HSF, 1 DIMM RAM, and video card, MB and PSU. Unplug everything else like the HD, optical drive, case fans, etc. You may have to build the system outside the case and bench test the system with the minimum hardware I mentioned. Here is a guide to bench test your system with the minimum hardware required. It is old, but it gives the you idea.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/building/171424-how-bench-test-your-system.html

hardwarekid9756

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
No repeated beep, just the standard beep? Means it's booting but not displaying. Make sure you have the monitor plug in the right slot. If it beeps low. then stops. then beeps low. then stops. This is typically RAM. Make sure it's seated. Also, try clearing the CMOS. remove the battery, hold the power button for like 15sec, either jump the CMOS reset header or hit the button. Pop back in the button-battery. Also, like badge says, make sure you've only got the proc, a single ram, and vid card hooked up.

hardwarekid9756

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
also, make sure the MoBo is only contacting the case at the risers, if it contacts other places it may be shorting something (I had that problem twice with pre-molded MoBo trays.)