nightsilencer

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
I have a P5Q Pro, which ony supports Crossfire... so as I have 2 8600GTs I was wondering if I could slap one of those cards into one of the smaller PCI-E slots to be a dedicated Physx card.

I don't know if those slots are x1 or x4 slots... there's one right below each of the x16 PCI-E slots.

PS: is physx the same as CUDA? I think it's quite confusing... so I'm wondering if they're the same thing.

4745454b

Titan
Please try this and let me know, as I want to know the answer to.

You need to plug them into the slots that fit, so don't worry about the x1 or x4 slots. You don't link them together, as that for SLI. PhysX is different from CUDA, but works as a CUDA program. (I think) CUDA is a "programming language", and one of the things it can do is PhysX. I don't know if it would work on a CF board, but I see no reason why it can't.

muz_j

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Physx is not the same as CUDA - do some reading on both. One's an related API the other is a development related compiler and set of tools - they're totally different.

re: adding your Geforce into your system to add-in physx support - that SHOULD work from what I've read, but you'll need to test it yourself - it won't be in Crossfire mode though as that's ATI specific, exactly as SLI is Nvidia specific.

Read this and then go and do some research of your own:
http://lly316.blogspot.com/2008/11/radeon-hd3850-plus-8600gt-physx.html

nightsilencer

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
Yes, I know that SLI is Nvidia specific and CF is ATI specific... that's why I said I would try to use my second 8600GT as a physx card, as the P5Q only supports CF.

I will test the other card as a dedicated physx, and I'll let you know what the results are.