nobody1627

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
I was thinking about putting together a new build in the "midrange" category in the next few months, with gaming (and perhaps a bit of media center activities) as the primary goal. I've been thinking about slowly buying some of the pieces each week to build around Christmas time.

I came across this deal locally (Fry's) and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on how good a deal it is. I have been planning on a quad core. I know it isn't necessarily the top choice for gaming right now; but, was thinking new games in the future might make better use of the technology, so it might be better to have one than not, plus I have read some of them are decent for overclocking (not extreme overclocking but mild overclocking).

My goal is a strong gamer, not necessarily "ultimate" gamer, possibly using either two HD4850s in crossfire, or a single HD4870 to start (and perhaps adding a second later).

The deal: $329.00 (in store so no shipping or rebate hastle)

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q8200 and Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R Motherboard

Didn't see that motherboard listed at Newegg, so some info I could find:

"Based on the new Intel P45 chipset, GA-EP45-DS3R delivers a record setting 1600MHz Front Side Bus for the latest Intel Core 2 multi-core processors, including 45nm CPUs. With supporting dual channel DDR2 up to 1200MHz. GA-EP45-DS3R is equipped to support ATI CrossFireX Technology with dual PCI Express 2.0 x8 interfaces, delivering double the PCI Express bandwidth of 5 Gbit/s for the ultimate in extreme gaming performance. GA-EP45-DS3R also delivers several advanced GIGABYTE innovations including the DES Advanced, Ultra Durable 2, Ultra TPM design which provide optimized power savings, ultra cooling and ultra secure data protection."
CPU:
- Support for an Intel Core 2 Extreme processor/ Intel Core 2 Quad processor/Intel Core 2 Duo processor/ Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor/Intel Celeron processor in the LGA 775 package
- L2 cache varies with CPU
Chipset:
- North Bridge: Intel P45 Express Chipset
- South Bridge: Intel ICH10
Front Side Bus: 1600/1333/1066/800 MHz FSB
Memory:
- 4 x 1.8V DDR2 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory
- Dual channel memory architecture
- Support for DDR2 1200/1066/800/667 MHz memory modules
Audio:
- Realtek ALC889A codec
- High Definition Audio
- 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel
- Support for Dolby Home Theater
- Support for S/PDIF In/Out
- Support for CD In
LAN:
- 2 x Realtek 8111C chips (10/100/1000 Mbit)
- Support for Teaming
Expansion Slots:
- 1 x PCI Express x16 slot
- 1 x PCI Express x8 slot (The PCIEx16 and PCIEx8 slots support ATI CrossFireX technology and conform to PCI Express 2.0 standard.)
- 3 x PCI Express x1 slot
- 2 x PCI slots
Storage Interface:
South Bridge:
- 6 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors (SATAII0, SATAII1, SATAII2, SATAII3, SATAII4, SATAII5) supporting up to 6 SATA 3Gb/s devices
- Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10
JMicron 368 chip:
- 1 x IDE connector supporting ATA-133/100/66/33 and up to 2 IDE devices
iTE IT8718 chip:
- 1 x floppy disk drive connector supporting up to 1 floppy disk drive

I noticed Crossfire will run at 8x8 rather than both at 16x unless I am reading wrong.

Good combo for a midrange gaming build/media computer at that price or not really that great a deal keep looking online?

Thanks for any help!

dieseldre2k

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128344

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115055&Tpk=Q8200

total @ newegg = $331.37 (without tax)

be aware that the P45 chipset only runs crossfire at 8x (instead of 16x). considering that u want a "midrange" build, i assume u wont need crossfire tho. thats only for resolutions of 1900x1200 or above. i would go with a good powerful single card solution like the 4870 or GTX 260.

also, i'm not an expert overclocker (so maybe others can help u out more than i can), but i would get the Q6600 over the Q8200. it has a lower FSB so i assume its easier to overclock with the high multiplier. it also has more L2 cache, which is important for gaming. the only good thing it has going for it is the 45nm architecture, which creates less heat. however, that shouldnt be a problem if u have a good cooling case.

nobody1627

Distinguished
May 17, 2008
Well, I am thinking I would like to be good up to about 1920 X 1080 resolutions. Right now I play on a 22 inch monitor and would like a set-up that can go up to at least a 24 inch. I don't hook up and game on big LCD TVs (and don't really plan to), so the ultrahigh resolution isn't a big consideration.

I would like to have crossfire capability (or SLI) to have something capable of keeping up for about a two (or three) year time frame on games (with upgrades if necessary). I don't think it is too realistic in gaming to think much further ahead; but, I wouldn't want to make choices now that are going to severely limit gaming a year from now. I understand the quads aren't necessarily the first choice right now for gaming; but, I have a feeling multicores are going to be fairly rapidly incorportated, so that is how I am leaning. I currently have a Q6600 and have been pretty happy with it, so I probably should be looking for a Q9300 (or higher) and a board that will run both cards at 16 X? With an appropriate motherboard and processor I should be able to overclock to at least 3.20GHz which in a crossfire with two HD4850s or a single HD4870 (perhaps two later) and be set pretty well perhaps? The more I learn the harder it seems to be sure when to pull the trigger, as there always seems to be a new generation of processors, graphics cards, etc. right around the corner. Then if there is you must account for the time after release for at least the (usual) first big price drop after the initial price point absorbs those who pay the (usual) premium to get the best stuff first - until the price becomes decent enough for us "midrangers" (or below) - if that makes any sense.

That should indicate this deal may not be one to jump on right now? I am thinking I have time to shop for deals (coupon codes, etc.), so I am (hoping) to be in the range of: $320 motherboard and CPU, $280 graphics card(s), $100 case, $100 memory, $150 power supply, $100 drive and burner, $50 CPU cooling = $1100 or less. Well, maybe a bit more or less depending.