I7 Temp/Hsf question

fenix16

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
I recently built a new i7 system using evga's x58 mobo and a Thermaltake V1 AX heat sink. From what I've seen while looking around, most of my temps seem fairly average.

Idle:30 - 39C
Gaming- 39 - 50 C

But when it comes to running prime95 or any other torture test, my temps will shoot up to 90 - 100C. The part about this that I'm having trouble understanding is how some other users are reporting temps of only 60 - 70C during the stress test using air cooling. I have reseated the heatsink and it is seated 100% properly on the board using the 1 line method for the thermal compound, however I still get the same temps. The fact that my temps are the same as other users are reporting with the exception of 100% load makes me think that there's either something that I'm missing or perhaps I have received a faulty heatsink.

Any ideas?

TexasRattleSnake

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2008
even with the boxed cooler, these temperatures are still way too high, let alone with the V1...
What thermal interface material are you using? You might wanna try a high quality TIM like the Tuniq TX2 (as good as the Arctic Silver 5 if not better, yet doesn't require too many thermal cycles to be fully effective)

MRFS

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008

fenix16

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
I'm using Arctic Silver. The system is OC'd from 2.66 to 3.4 (which really isn't that major for an i7. Here is a guide from an EVGA rep showing how to OC to 4ghz on air.) As for the temps i7 runs much hotter than older chipsets. From browsing forums it would appear that on 100% load most air cooled systems are hitting 60 - 70C, while water cooled systems are hitting 50 - 60 C on full load. I however hit 90 - 100C when running an 8 thread prime85 pass. In my previous experience, if a person installs a heatsink incorrectly or has a faulty unit etc, their temps are higher across the board. The reason I'm a bit perplexed is because my temps seem to be at the same level as most other i7 users with the exception of when all 4 cores are running at 100% full load with hyperthreading enabled.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
fenix16 you could just put your fingers on the heatsink you have on the mobo and seeing if it is truly getting hot..I see the northbridge on that mobo has a fan on the heatsink also check it with your fingers to see if it is getting hot and not the cpu.

also would help if we got the rest of your specs before we can give you a better chance at correcting the problem.

fenix16

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
I would say that the heatsink is warm, I don't know about hot. I haven't ever used a heatsink this large before so I don't know if I should expect the heat to be traveling all the way to the top fins of the unit. According to EVGA's E-Leet utility my NB is running around 45 - 55C.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007

fenix16 if your temps are pretty much normal when comparing to others with same mobo.sense all other temps in the case seem to be normal, also your problem may be the way the fan insde case and the cpu heatsink positioning may be some of your problems.how is the air flow through your case example: front 120 " intake 1 120 side fan intake, 1 120 exhaust on back of case, 1 ozc 700 psu pulling air from inside the case blowing it out the back. this is the way I have my case set up along with the spec at the bottom of this post.

if it was me I also would put hand around that heatsink and try to figure out the air flow from it ? the direction of the air flow compared to others in the case. also the video card my be blocking air flow,which way is the cpu heat sink set,make sure it's not touching the northbridge heat sink,I read that on a couple post at different sites.hope this helps you out.

fenix16

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Air flow isn't the issue. I have 4 120 intake on the side, 1 120 on the front, 1 80 pulling air in from the top, 2 120s pushing air out the back of the case, and then the psu fan pushing air out as well. The heatsink is oriented so that the exhaust is directly in front of the exhaust fans on my case. I went ahead and ordered a Noctua. Hopefully I will have better luck with that. Thanks for all the help.