blablaboi1

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
I'm having serious issues with my HDD. 2 days ago, my HDD got corrupted AGAIN and I got lots and lots of bad clusters. No, I did not overclock anything. My BIOS is on stock settings.

1. It passes all the tests in SeaTools, HDDTune, and SMART scans. What's going on here? I swear I'm pretty sure HDD is the problem...

2. PC never crashed or BSOD'd, which does indicate PSU, mobo, and RAM is most likely not the cause.

3. This isn't the first time that happened, I got corrupted files in Jan 2010. I thought my OS was the problem so I reinstalled my OS but now, the SAME THING happened again. I'm very suspicious my HDD is the problem.

4. I ran chkdsk yesterday and it tried fixing some sectors but I got "unexpected error has occurred" then I got a BSOD saying "KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR" and my HDD couldn't read any data anymore for several hours. This morning, I tried again and it booted fine into the OS, but again, I still have lots of corrupted files. I ran chkdsk again today and it seemed to run fine and finished rather quickly. This time, it didn't detect any bad sectors...??

5. My HDD acts very unpredictably, randomly it seems to be working fine, the other times, it just doesn't. for example, it takes FOREVER to scroll through some files in Windows Explorer.

Do I have to RMA? What is the problem here?? my drive is NOT suitable for OS use. My drive is a seagate and my warranty lasts until 2012.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Oh yeah man theres two kinds of failures,catastrophic and a slow death. It seems like your hd is dying a slow death but you know that. I suggest you get all of you stuff off that drive if you dont have a good back up plan in place already. I treat my hds like they will die at any minute so its funny to me when people say that their hd is dying and they lost all their data. SMART and the other tools are good but if your hd is acting funny and those systems cant find anything, still dont trust them and take care of the problem before it becomes a bigger problem. Or if you think the drive is not bad, it could be your sata port on your mb. My friend had a bad sata port and It actually killed his drive but it was just like yours a slow death.

Backup,and then backup that backup!

blablaboi1

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
The good thing is I actually had most of my stuff backed up :) but then my issue is whether I should trust this drive or not. It seems like you might be right but I heard Seagate's RMA is a pain in the ass.

Anyone know what seagate RMA is like? I read through it and I can tell it's very strict...