SininStyle

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I read reviews on heatsinks a lot. I spend a lot of time in this very section just lurking and reading any information i can fun sucking it up like a sponge. I find a lot of the information is spot on and first hand experiences are far more useful when paired up with benchmarks.

Anyway heres my question. It seems the default response to any cooler question is answered with Frosty techs website http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm#INTELHEATSINK and i cant understand why. Frosty is great but this is 775 and the majority of the current cooler questions are for i5/i7 and neither apply to this. 775 cooling is not the same on a i5/i7 , the cores arnt in the same place and the wattage of heat being removed isnt the same.

There must be a better site to link as a default answer to every cooler question? For those ending up buying some cooler thinking its the greatest just to plug it in and find out its failing miserably it has to be very frustrating.

Anyway just my thoughts. Had to say something.

I always mention using the Google embedded search engine to find information about socket specific heatsinks.

In addition, if you clicked on their #1 rated Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme Heatsink and read the 3rd paragraph of the review you would have found this:

"The 152mm tall Tuniq Tower 120 Extreme heatsink weighs in at about 775 grams and is compatible with Intel socket 775/1366 and AMD socket 939/940/AM2/AM3 processors."

The same is true for their #2 rated Prolimatech Megahalem:

"Enter the Prolimatech Megahalems heatsink - built for Intel socket 775 and 1366 processors we'll also put it though its paces on the AMD platform."

It's pretty much the same for 7 of their top 10 heatsinks. They come with multiple mounts/adapters. The remaining three require purchasing an adapter bracket for now. They "might" include multiple brackets in the future.

BTW - Just to set the record straight. The new Intel Core i3/i5/i7 series cpu's are not the top sellers among gamers and enthusiasts. The most popular series is the Intel Core 2 series, especially the Quads. It will be a while before sales of the newer cpu's catch up to and surpass the older series. It's just a matter of time and hopefully price reductions.

SininStyle

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Well my point was more about the performance not the bracket. the number one performer on a 775 chip isnt gona be the same on the list when put on a 1366. Just because its bracket is universal doesnt mean the results are.

SinninStyle - You'd better take a look at the Frosty tech testing platform and methodolgy. There are no cpu's involved. Instead a copper die is used that is heated to slightly exceed AMD and Intel Thermal Design Power (TDP) values. They use 85 watt and 150 watt heat loads for Intel CPU's. The high end Intel Core i7 cpu's max out at a 130 watt heat load so they're covered in the 150 watt heat load test. In fact you could consider the 150 watt heat load as a stress test.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
My friend just got a Tuniq Tower Extreme 120 for his stock Q6600. His temps are around 20C and cooler with the windows open. It's a great cooler. Don't be afraid of using Google and doing research on your own too. The worst that can happen is that you have learned something.