Whats wrong with this computer?

jayjay

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
I was trying to do a fresh install of win xp I finished it fine and it worked good, but it installed it on d partition. I wanted no partitions so i went back deleted both partitions and tried to install again and it failed the loading bar never left 0% so I restarted the computer to try again and it wouldnt boot the disk. So I swapped out the cd drive with another one I know works and it started working it booted the disk then stopped screen went black. So I restarted again and now it wont boot the bios does a beep error code.

this computer is about 7 years old now. What do you thinks wrong with it? I cant find out what the bios beep error code means

topper743

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Try checking the MB manual for the error code. If you don't have it, download it from the OEM. Win XP is limited (Win XP Pro OEM non SP2 version) to a 127gb I believe partition for install. This will be drive c. The remainder of you disk can be formatted after install. During the setup for install there are several dialogs to walk you through the process. These have to do with the how you want to do the setup. Tell windows to delete all partitions and format, don’t choose the quick method. If your Win XP version includes sp2 I believe you can format the entire drive. There might still be some size limitation. Recheck all the hardware for proper installation. Re-double double check that the memory is properly seated. Is there any possibility that the system suffered a static shock while you were fiddling inside the case (the power cable must be unplugged whenever we mess about inside the case)? I’ll bet some other readers will chime in to help you but you must provide more specific info about the problem and the system. "It beeps at me what does that mean" is hard to determine. The beep code sequence will narrow the problem.