Sign in with
Your question

RAID 0

Last response: in Storage
March 28, 2010 10:40:31 PM

Why is RAID 0 not an option for data protection and high availability?

More about : raid

March 28, 2010 10:55:02 PM

RAID 0: Striped Disk Array without Fault Tolerance
RAID Level 0 requires a minimum of 2 drives to implement.

RAID Level 0 is a performance oriented striped data mapping technique. Uniformly sized blocks of storage are assigned in regular sequence to all of an array's disks. RAID Level 0 provides high I/O performance at low inherent cost. (No additional disks are required). The reliability of RAID Level 0, however is less than that of its member disks due to its lack of redundancy. Despite the name, RAID Level 0 is not actually RAID, unless it is combined with other technologies to provide data and functional redundancy, regeneration and rebuilding.

Advantages: RAID 0 implements a striped disk array, the data is broken down into blocks and each block is written to a separate disk drive. I/O performance is greatly improved by spreading the I/O load across many channels and drives. Best performance is achieved when data is striped across multiple controllers with only one drive per controller. No parity calculation overhead is involvedVery simple designEasy to implement.

Disadvantages: Not a "True" RAID because it is NOT fault-tolerant. The failure of just one drive will result in all data in an array being lost. Should never be used in mission critical environments.
Recommended Applications:
- Video Production and Editing
- Image Editing
- Pre-Press Applications
- Any application requiring high bandwidth.

a b G Storage
March 28, 2010 11:20:10 PM

RAID0 has all the data striped (split) across the drives. This means no drive has 100% of X file. So why is there no data protection? Because a loss of the RAID driver or a drive itself will result in a loss of all your data. Same problem with availability.
!