Sign in with
Your question

Correct Kingston HyperX ram to use w/ OC'd core i7 920

February 16, 2010 5:04:24 PM

Hi,
I've built a dozen or so systems in the past, and my latest one is going to be my first jump into the realm of overclocking and eventually water cooling.
It's primary purpose is as a gaming rig and digital audio workstation running Reason 4 and Cubase.
I chose to go with the Core i7 920 because its quad core, supports Hyper threading, and the new Nehalem architecture has an on-die memory controller.
The graphics card is a Sapphire Radeon HD5770 1GB and eventually I will probably run it in X-fire mode and overclock that too once I get the watercooling setup working.

For RAM, I decided to go with Kingston HyperX having good luck with it in the past, and because my intuition tells me in order for Hyper threading to work it requires a MB, BIOS, and RAM capable of supporting it.
I ordered the RAM separately from the components, and looking at the specs I think I may have gotten the wrong kind. Not to mention, I only ordered 4GB to start, and after reading more it seems its best to go triple channel in a 3x2GB configuration. The voltage on the RAM that just arrived is 1.7-1.9V. I know the Core i7 runs at 1.65V. The ram is KHX1600C9D3K2/4G
Questions:
1. First off, is 1600MHZ ram the correct speed to get when the max is 1066? I want to overclock the CPU to 4GHZ which seems to be commonplace with the right cooling setup.
2. Second, is my assumption about the voltage correct?
3. If it is the correct voltage, can I just buy another 2GB module to run triple channel or is it better to get a matched set of 3?
email: jdavid@byramhealthcare.com

Build info:
Sapphire Radeon HD5770 Vapor-X 1GB DDR5 2DVI/HDMI/DisplayPort PCI-Express Video Card
2xWestern Digital Caviar Blue WD3200AAKS 320GB SATA2 7200rpm 16MB Hard Drive in RAID 1
LG DVD-RW Drive
Lite-On IHOS104-06 4X SATA Blu-ray ROM Drive, BULK
Evercase 4U Black Rackmount ECR9400B W/O Power Supply
Intel Core i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz 8MB LGA1366 CPU, Retail
GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R LGA1366/ Intel X58/ DDR3/ CrossFireX/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard
Thermaltake A2376 HDD Cooler
Coolmax VL-600B 600W 140mm Blue LED Fan Power Supply(Black)

Related resources
!