Keeping an old dependable pc alive?

Hello,
I have an old pentium III PC with Windoe XP and Office 2000 (Office 2000 is the main reason to keep the PC alive). It needs a new hard drive (memory allocation problems). It has an ATA Ultra 66 controller. I have ordered an Adaptec 1233 ATA Ultra 133 controller card and a Western Digital Caviar Blue 160 Gb ATA Ultra 100 hard drive. I plan to partion the drive to get around the 137 Gb hard drive size problem of these old motherboards. Apart from driver issues, is there anything else I need to be concerned about?

I am in the planning stage of a Intel i5 750 build with Windows 7. Office 2000 isn't comptible with the new OS. Would a second OS (XP)on a seperate partition or drive alow me to use Office 2000? Office 2000 works great, and the newer versions aren't any better apart from the compatibility standpoint.

Solution
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that.

You could dual-boot, but IMHO that's a real pain because if you do that you wouldn't be able to use Office and other programs at the same time.

I would seriously consider buying the Pro or Ultimate versions of Windows 7 and using XP mode to run Office in a virtual machine.

Another alternative would be to use OpenOffice, which can do most things that Office can, reads and writes Office-compatible documents, is free, and will run on Windows 7.
Interesting, I wasn't aware of that.

You could dual-boot, but IMHO that's a real pain because if you do that you wouldn't be able to use Office and other programs at the same time.

I would seriously consider buying the Pro or Ultimate versions of Windows 7 and using XP mode to run Office in a virtual machine.

Another alternative would be to use OpenOffice, which can do most things that Office can, reads and writes Office-compatible documents, is free, and will run on Windows 7.

Solution