Motherboard Diagnosis (Via USB?)

ITBoy09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Hi guys

I have a dead computer in our office that, when i switch it on, just produces a blank screen.

I tested the hard drive in another computer and it seems to work ok since i can access the files. So i assume there is something wrong with the motherboard, maybe the onscreen graphics card.

is there a software which i can run on a working PC, to check the motherboard in the broken PC for faults ? via USB or something ?

thanks for any advice.

bilboe

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Is there any activity whatsoever? (Keyboard lights, fans, etc.) If your motherboard has integrated graphics, try taking out your graphics card. Or vice versa.

The only real way to diagnose another system is to swap parts, one by one, with a donor system, to see which is the problem.

Hope this will help,

ITBoy09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
yes the CPU cooling fan works and the little green LED on the motherboard as well.

the graphics card is onboard unfortunately, so i cant take that one out :/

i thought there might be a system where i can diagnose via an USB cable and a program installed on another pc maybe ? shame, that would have helped a lot.

thank you very much though.

bilboe

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Clearly, the graphics card is the problem. Just purchase a very cheap graphics card to replace integrated graphics, (you can find them on newegg for like 30$)

Good luck!