Unusual High temperatures..

Tags:
  • Heatsinks
  • Cases
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
February 16, 2010 7:45:42 PM

hi i built a system recently, the specs are as follows..

CPU: Phenom II X4 955 3.2Ghz (stock AMD cooler)
RAM: A Data DDR3 1066
MB: Gigabyte GA-MA785GGT-UD3H
AGP: Gugabyte HD 4870 1GB
Case: random case.

After doing some reading on the forum i think my cpu idle/load temperatures are really high.
it idles at 45C and 60-62C underload (prime95)

i have tried to vaccum and clean the fan and reapplied thermal paste properly i.e. use cleaner to clean heatsink and cpu before reapplying. I am using Akasa 450 silver compound.

Currently i have 2 80mm fans sucking air out from rear, 1 80mm side fan sucking air in, and 1 120mm frontal fan sucking air in.

i am really bothered by the high temperature :(  i bought a new cooler (OCZ vandette 2) but its too large it wont fit in my case :( 

but even with the vandetta 2 running in an open case environment it still idles at 40C?

More about : unusual high temperatures

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2010 9:11:56 PM

the vendetta 2 isnt the best cooler, but it should be a little cooler than that. Have you tried to re-seat it with the vendetta? Make sure you dont use to MUCH thermal paste. Beginners tend to over-apply.
February 16, 2010 9:57:19 PM

i've only apply a thin layer, as advised by the forum members. i just cant think of anything i;ve done wrong =/

i have to resolve to undervolting the CPU now for a lower temp :( 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2010 10:00:58 PM

What fan do you have on the heatsink?
February 16, 2010 10:14:13 PM

it includes a 120mm fan. i know its not the best on the market but i was expecting a good drop in temperature.
!