Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$1000 Gaming System

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 23, 2008 10:34:50 PM

here are the specs

q6700 @ 2.66ghz or E8600 at 3.33ghz ($320)
4gb ram ($70)
Geforce 8800 ultra ( on sale for $200)
750i sli ready motherboard ($190)
500gb wd sata harddrive ($70)
500watt psu ($61)


total comes to appox $1000 tax included!

Will this system be good enough for games like starcraft 2 and diablo 3 with max resolution? considering that i own a xbox360 and a ps3?
Should i go for the q677 or the E8600?.. need help please THX!

More about : 1000 gaming system

October 23, 2008 11:41:24 PM

howcome no one replyed lol.. i just want a quick confirmation before i go and get it
October 23, 2008 11:45:50 PM

*crackle* Houston your clear for take off *crackle*
Related resources
October 23, 2008 11:51:28 PM

Short answer no how can any say it would handle a game that not even out yet at max rez and with eye candy also that video card is mid range at best.
October 23, 2008 11:55:19 PM

we know nothing of those games azn... theres no specs on it, so how can you be asking that question? is there even a release date for those games?

and from newegg, you can do alot better wiht $1000, i don't understand wher eyour spending $320 for a q6700... thats q9550 territory
October 23, 2008 11:55:54 PM

ok first off you are still missing parts or your net telling them to us

such as a case, monitor, and go with ATI GFX Cards much better

what about software, you need a OS.

I think that about covers the parts your are missing other than that you look good.
October 23, 2008 11:59:13 PM

eklipz330 said:
we know nothing of those games azn... theres no specs on it, so how can you be asking that question? is there even a release date for those games?

and from newegg, you can do alot better wiht $1000, i don't understand wher eyour spending $320 for a q6700... thats q9550 territory



oh no, i was looking at tigerdirect's site... thx for your sugguestion
October 24, 2008 12:00:58 AM

ikaz said:
Short answer no how can any say it would handle a game that not even out yet at max rez and with eye candy also that video card is mid range at best.


've been looking at so many different video cards, from 9800gt, 9800gtx, 9800gx2, 4870 4870x2 4850.. im not sure which one i need, since im not a hardcore gamer, the most i'll play on my pc is sports game at max resolution or like i meantioned those real time rpgs
October 24, 2008 12:02:12 AM

hopkiller said:
ok first off you are still missing parts or your net telling them to us

such as a case, monitor, and go with ATI GFX Cards much better

what about software, you need a OS.

I think that about covers the parts your are missing other than that you look good.



oh those i already have, i have a monitor 22'', and gaming mid range atx... and windows vista.. just not sure which version of vista would suit it and would a 500 watt psu be enough, other than that, would u sugguest a video card ?
October 24, 2008 12:05:27 AM

well if you want the 4gb of memory or more in the future go with vista ultimate 64 bit SP1. I would suggest an HD4870 ATI card for your case. It is a great card and sells for 250 i think or you can go down to the HD4850 which i have and love which is 180-160 dollars
October 24, 2008 12:05:39 AM

Let me tell you what you're not clear for take off on..
You are definitely not clear for take off with that $61 PSU
Q6700 for $320 - ripoff
4g ram for $71??? what kind of ram?
Forget SLI - money pit... look at the P35 boards
add $60 to that GPU and get yourself a 1g 4870

The question you should be asking the board is "what is your best configuration for a $1,000 system with these resolution requirements for such and such game(s) that are currently out. There is no benchmark testing to base a logical explaination from games that are coming out so there is not way to tell what hardware will satisfy..

*you need to do more homework.
October 24, 2008 12:09:53 AM

blackwater you can get cheap DDR2 800 ram theses days i bought 4 gb of G.Skill memory (great stuff) for 80$ the price is down to 60 dollars now
October 24, 2008 12:12:45 AM

blackwater11 said:
Let me tell you what you're not clear for take off on..
You are definitely not clear for take off with that $61 PSU
Q6700 for $320 - ripoff
4g ram for $71??? what kind of ram?
Forget SLI - money pit... look at the P35 boards
add $60 to that GPU and get yourself a 1g 4870

The question you should be asking the board is "what is your best configuration for a $1,000 system with these resolution requirements for such and such game(s) that are currently out. There is no benchmark testing to base a logical explaination from games that are coming out so there is not way to tell what hardware will satisfy..

*you need to do more homework.


really good advice, so im set on 4870.... now just need to figure out which cpu
October 24, 2008 12:15:47 AM

Go with an E8400 convinent, overclock potential with P series mobos, and great for gamming, lastly fast!

are you from canada see there is a difference in the US dollar and Canadian dollar.

On the US newegg the product is priced at $239.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

I don't know if you can click on that link.

October 24, 2008 12:17:09 AM

You can get decent ram @ 800mhz for $80 or you can get great ram@1066 2X2g for $100..
Or you can also get..

AllComponents 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model AC2/800X64/4096-KIT - Retail for $44.

u get what you pay for


October 24, 2008 12:20:52 AM

now im tottally thrown off, not even sure whcih one i need anymore
October 24, 2008 1:11:27 AM

The ignorance in this thread is amazing...i cant begin to know where to start...
To those who are new to the game an 8800ultra is (was the best high end card for well over a year) so its not mid range, its OLD top end and 1066 memory is NOT 800 memory Oc'd contrarily to popular opinion clock speeds are not scalable, the1066 memory is internally different. i would go with an 9800gtx with a gig of mem, that will give you plenty of memory for thoese games like Diablo III witch will require lots of texture memory+at higher resoultions more memory is needed.
October 24, 2008 1:34:10 AM

4870 1g - $289
750 W PC Power & Cooling - $134
OCZ Platinum 2X2g 1066 Ram - $100
q6600 - $167
DFI P35 - $139
WD 7200 3.0G/sec 16mb cache $74 X2 and put em in Raid 0

October 24, 2008 3:34:10 AM

This build is just over $1000 and would be very fast.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 Wolfdale 3.16GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $189.99

GIGABYTE GA-X48-DS4 LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $224.99

mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $67.99 -$20.00 MIR

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $74.99

SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $309.99

Antec Three Hundred Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $51.99

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $26.99

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $119.99 -$20.00 MIR


Total $1,066.92 -$40.00 MIR's

You could lower the price by about $250 by going with a P45 motherboard and 4850 GPU.

The X48 chipset and 750W PSU are overkill for one GPU, but leave the option of full speed crossfire in the future.

You will also need a 64-bit OS to take advantage of all 4GB of RAM.

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $99.99
October 24, 2008 4:00:03 AM

x_2fast4u_x said:
The ignorance in this thread is amazing...i cant begin to know where to start...
To those who are new to the game an 8800ultra is (was the best high end card for well over a year) so its not mid range, its OLD top end and 1066 memory is NOT 800 memory Oc'd contrarily to popular opinion clock speeds are not scalable, the1066 memory is internally different. i would go with an 9800gtx with a gig of mem, that will give you plenty of memory for thoese games like Diablo III witch will require lots of texture memory+at higher resoultions more memory is needed.



in that case, do i stick with the 8800ultra (btw, i knew it was a really good card) or the 9800gtx
October 24, 2008 5:58:17 AM

azn_sicko said:
in that case, do i stick with the 8800ultra (btw, i knew it was a really good card) or the 9800gtx


Don't get either of them, ATI has much better price/performance ratios with their HD4000 series cards. A 4870 or 4850 will hit the sweet spot.
October 24, 2008 6:05:56 AM

aeiouandxyz said:
Don't get either of them, ATI has much better price/performance ratios with their HD4000 series cards. A 4870 or 4850 will hit the sweet spot.

+1

The 4850 offers a little better performance than the 9800GTX+ for less money. It's a great price/performance card. Don't let the Nvidia fanbois persuade you otherwise. Check benchmarks (not from Tom's Hardware) and let them make your decision for you.

I'm not loyal to any manufacturer. I do research and buy what offers the best performance at the time. That's currently the ATI 4x00 series cards in most cases.
October 24, 2008 2:24:33 PM

Ok short he already has a case and he does not need a X48 mobo becuase he does not have the money to do crossfire. Go with a good P45 motherboard instead. Also don't buy the E8500 go with E8400 and use the saved money to buy a good heatsink so that you can overclock the CPU

ohh and 1+ for HD 4870
October 24, 2008 10:26:16 PM

hopkiller said:
Ok short he already has a case and he does not need a X48 mobo becuase he does not have the money to do crossfire. Go with a good P45 motherboard instead. Also don't buy the E8500 go with E8400 and use the saved money to buy a good heatsink so that you can overclock the CPU

ohh and 1+ for HD 4870


With the money he saves from the P45 over the X48, he can afford the E8500. It doesn't seem like azn is going to overclock the CPU since he didn't mention overclocking. A stock hsf will be fine unless you've got butterfingers with push pins like me. The Asus P5Q Pro is an excellent value P45 motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
or the P5Q Deluxe:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
October 25, 2008 1:54:49 AM

Here's a setup that includs Monitor and Keyboard/Mouse. All parts are top brands and a lot of parts also recieved Newegg's Customer Choice Award.

Cost: $898.92
Cost plus shipping is around: $915.47
After rebate: $850.47


CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 $164.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Graphic Card and Ram combo: $218.99

Graphic Card: 4850 $159.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Ram: OCZ Reaper HPC Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 $74.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Mobo: DFI LANPARTY DK P35-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P35 $139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Case: Antec 300 $51.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HDD: Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD3200AAKS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache $59.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready $99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Monitor: Acer X193W+BD Black 19" 5ms Widescreen LCD Monitor $149.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Keyboard and Mouse: Logitech $12.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
!