Booting from formerly raid 1 disk

rtchong

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
Hello,

I ran today into problems with my asus p4p800e deluxe raid 1. A critical condition error message is displayed on boot.

Reading through the forums it looks like a raid 1 is not the best protection against loss. I want to uninstall the raid but wonder if I can boot from the "good" disk. It is my understanding that data on the sata drives are not lost. How do I have to configure the bios to boot from the sata drive?

Thanks,

Ronald

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2008
A raid 1 array should still be functioning correctly if one of two drives went down. You will need to replace the defective drive at which point the raid controller will rebuild the array from the good drive, returning you to the same point you where at before the failure.

Or did you have a raid 0 array. In which case the failure of one drive will cause the loss of all data on the array.

IMHO
the only good backup is on an external drive in a box not plugged into anything

rtchong

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

I have (had) a raid 1 array but the computer does not want to boot. It shows the critical condition message on a line starting with id #1. Do I have to assume that the #1 means the hard disk that is connected to the "sata_raid_1" connector or, as there apparently could be more than one, the #1 raid?

I have unplugged the #1 hard disk and now I get the message that I should insert bootable media. In other words the #2 hard disk is missing its boot record, correct? Then I have unplugged the wrong one?

rtchong

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

Just did that and now I get a message that windows could not start because of bad or missing "hal.dll".

Can I install the "hal.dll" I have on another xp?

Thanks a lot.

rtchong

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

Thanks for responding to my questions. I still have one and hopefully the last.

Can I take one drive out and install it in a portable usb sata drive holder and read it? The raid is already not working and harm is already done, right?