Sign in with
Your question

Cannot install window XP on dell latitude D600

Last response: in Windows XP
March 30, 2011 1:30:19 AM

hello, im trying to reapair my sister's laptop. its dell latitude D600, old dell laptop. the hardisk is damage so i buy a new one. but when i try to install window xp, it goes BSOD with this error, 0x0000007B (0xF9E7B524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)...
i dontknow what to do,,,,,some forum said that i need ti change the SATA operation setting from RAID "Auto/AHCI" to "RAID Auto/ATA"..but i cannot find that setting on the BIOS...
so, someone please help me, the new IDE 2. hardisk is not cheap and i dont want to waste......tq in advance....
March 30, 2011 5:35:08 AM

there is no raid in this laptop.
Some dell computers have proprietary firmware on the hard drive, some have non standard wiring connecting the hard drive.
You may not be able to just slap in an off the shelf hard drive.
Yes indeed, Dell was heavily criticized for using non standard proprietary hardware and firmware, which prevented the use of off the shelf parts. They began phasing this proprietary hardware out, several years ago. But an older computer may have the proprietary parts, and you may need to obtain the correct parts from Dell, with the firmware pre-installed.
Sorry, although some people here refuse to believe this, it is true, and documented. There is no standard form factor for laptops, although some companies have attempted to adopt standardization.
The fact is, if the proprietary firmware is not installed on the disk, the disk may not run at all.
m
l
!