Sign in with
Your question

Very BIG problem with drivers on HD 4850...VPU Recovery

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 21, 2008 6:50:11 AM

Hi ! I'm new on this forum. First, i don't speak very good English so if i spell anything wrong excuse me.

So...I formated my PC => install programs => install drivers => install Call of Duty 4 and 5.. I enter in the game. Select new game...loading...I play for two seconds and then BUM ! VPU Recovery. I've reinstall drivers. Catalyst 8.7 then 8.9 then 8.10 then 8.11 then 8.7 then again 8.11 but nothing. The same problem. Before reinstalling Windows all the games worked. I've finished Crysis, Bioshock, Area 51 with all maxed out with no problems. But even then, at the begining there where exactly the same problems but i can't remember how i fixed it.

Yesterday, i made it work. I set the rezolution from Catalyst at 800x600 and i've played CoD 4 and 5 for a couple of hours with all maxed and no problems. After that, i installed FarCry 2. But when i tryed to play it there where artefacts. So [like a stupid i am] i reinstalled the drivers with the thought that i know how to repair it. But it didn't work... I'm sure there is something with the settings.

My sistem is

Intel Core2 Duo E8400

Gigabyte P35-GA-DS3L

Enermax case...Vostok with 400w Trident

HIS ATi Radeon HD 4850

Another thing...in FarCry 2 where artefacts. Someone told me is not that good. There is sometinhg wrong with 4850 ? On my old computer i had a ATi 9550 128mb and in [only in] Joint Operations i had sometimes artefacts, but in other games the Ati was great. And i've played on her ass long time and nothing happen.

Thanks for your time...by the way the the card is not OC
November 21, 2008 7:05:33 AM

Did you uninstall the previous drivers before you install the new ones? go DL driversweep and clear out your drivers then try reinstalling it again. Use 8.11 as anything below 8.9 is kinda crap.

I'm wondering about your PSU though... might be your PSU
November 21, 2008 7:08:24 AM

of course i unistall the previous drivers. I'm not that stupid :D  And i've used driversweep. I try infinite combinations. 8.11 with framwork 2, and then with 3, and tne with 3.5 and then i've installed a kind of patch to catalyst and then installed Ati tools etc.
Related resources
November 21, 2008 7:16:59 AM

Im definatly thinking that your PSU isnt up to powering the rig. Can you tell us what the Wattage or Amps are for the +12V Rail/s. I have tried to look it up on the net but with no luck.

Mactronix :) 
November 21, 2008 7:42:03 AM

ok... smarty pants... then that issue is taken out of the equation... but then you should know that you do require a quality PSU to power these kind of cards.... a 400 watt is enuff to power your rig, but I doubt that your PSU is able to give continuous power. Cheap PSU especially the ones that come with the case aren't rated at the specification they say.
November 21, 2008 7:57:48 AM

ZeCow...I know that the PSU that come with the case are not to good but i didn't know that before i ordered the PC and then it was to late to change the sistem. But i don't understand how before it all worked fine and right after the format nothing works.

What about the artefacts...is that bad ? Is it the card that is broked or is it the PSU ?

mactronix, where do i look to se the Wattage or the amps... is it on the label on the PSU ? i don't know much so excuse me if i ask dumb questions :D 
November 21, 2008 8:26:36 AM

Yes it is on the label on the side of the PSU, be warned though if you have this machine under warranty and they find out you opened it your warranty may be voided.
It could just be a coincidence, bad luck that the format and the PSU issue, if thats what it is happened at the same time. A power supply could well support a system but be stressing itself too hard when doing so. This would lead to either the PSU failing big time and possably burning out parts inside the machine or it could just degrade to the point where it cant supply the needed power anymore. This is what i think has happened in your case.
Can you also tell me how the card is connected to the power supply, Is it on a dedicated 6 pin cable or is it on a connector that takes 2 X 4pin connectors and turns them into a 6 pin ?

November 21, 2008 8:47:11 AM

The rig is consuming no more than 320watts with 80% effeciency.. its somwhere around 280 watts. I think that your PSU can not supply continuous power. You might have stressed your psu. Artifacts can happen from the power. I rate low quality PSU by dividing it by 2..... so if its 400watt, I would say that beyond 200 is already loading it.

Open your case and look at the PSU, on the side/bottom of the PSU, you will see the PSU details.
November 21, 2008 9:07:09 AM

Zecow said:
The rig is consuming no more than 320watts with 80% effeciency.. its somwhere around 280 watts. I think that your PSU can not supply continuous power. You might have stressed your psu. Artifacts can happen from the power. I rate low quality PSU by dividing it by 2..... so if its 400watt, I would say that beyond 200 is already loading it.

Open your case and look at the PSU, on the side/bottom of the PSU, you will see the PSU details.

What on earth are you talking about ???
You estimate the rig is running about 320 watts then reduce it to 280 to allow for 80% efficiency.
If you were talking about the output of the PSU and not the power usage of the rig you would be half right.
We dont even know if the Power supply in question is 80% certified, which i doubt, its likley to be less with a generic PSU.
Then you maths dosent add up your figures give you a figure of 87.5% which is way out even the really good PSU's dont get those kinds of figures.

Mactronix
November 21, 2008 9:34:17 AM

i think you're right. I install Counter Strike now because i was curious if VPU recovery will show on an old game like CS. It showed but this time alot later. When the VPU Recovery shows up, the fan of the graphic card stops for a fow seconds....

On the PSU label says...It was a table but i couldn't reproduce it...i hope you understand...

AC output 230VAC 50hz 6A

DC output

+3.3V ... + 5V ... +12V1... -5V.... -12V... +5Vsb ---- TOTAL POWER

.. 25A
....... 30A.... 18A..... 0.3A.... 0.8A.... 2.0A

200W is under 3+3.3V and +5V

216W is under +12V1

7.5W
is under -5V and -12W

10W is under +5Vsb

385W is under 200W and 216W

15W is under 7.5W and 10W
November 21, 2008 9:44:17 AM

by the way...the artefacts where in FarCry 2. When i've opened FarCry 2 map editor and placed a tree the artefacts where coming out of the tree and when i've tried to play the game, the artefacts where coming out of the tree to. My question is how the PSU is streessed if the artefacts appeared immediately after the game started ? Doesn't need time to get stressed ? I'm not tryng to be smarty. It's just a question....
November 21, 2008 9:48:18 AM

Yes i can understand that fine, im sory to say it is most likley your PSU that is at fault. In fact i wouldnt risk running games on the PC untill you can get a new one. It could damage the Graphics card or worse.
Even if you do get a new one and the problem turns out to still be there due to driver issues you would be doing yourself a favour in the long run as the numbers you posted are very low and to be honest im surprised it ran at all. so its only a problem waiting to happen.
If you would like some advice or suggeations on what PSU to replace it with then let us know where you shop an dwe can give you some options.

November 21, 2008 9:55:42 AM

Thanks...i think to this is the problem after the arguments i've heard. But i still can't figure how 3 days ago, by changing a small seting the games worked fine.
November 21, 2008 10:53:11 AM

mactronix said:
What on earth are you talking about ???
You estimate the rig is running about 320 watts then reduce it to 280 to allow for 80% efficiency.
If you were talking about the output of the PSU and not the power usage of the rig you would be half right.
We dont even know if the Power supply in question is 80% certified, which i doubt, its likley to be less with a generic PSU.
Then you maths dosent add up your figures give you a figure of 87.5% which is way out even the really good PSU's dont get those kinds of figures.

Mactronix

I used the kill-a-watt therefore I know its running at 320. My brother is using the same specs - OCed with 4 HDD. I'm giving the OP an example of the power consumption of the rig - if he is concerned about the wattage. I gave a description that sub-par PSU can't supply enough juice.. as it is mostly overated by twice its performance.

November 21, 2008 11:35:56 AM

oLlama said:
Thanks...i think to this is the problem after the arguments i've heard. But i still can't figure how 3 days ago, by changing a small seting the games worked fine.

I used to have an AMD system that ran a small Graphics card when it was new, i upgraded it to a differant card and it ran fine for a while then did a similar thing to what yours is doing. the only differance to speak of was that i updated the graphics driver. After this it started dropping out of games.
I uprated the PSU and the system has had another GPU upgrade since then and is still running as my daughters PC up in her room.
As a rule the generic power supplies in systems are pretty close to the limit of what they can do anyway and i guess its possable you just got a bad one.

November 21, 2008 11:49:29 AM

Zecow said:
I used the kill-a-watt therefore I know its running at 320. My brother is using the same specs - OCed with 4 HDD. I'm giving the OP an example of the power consumption of the rig - if he is concerned about the wattage. I gave a description that sub-par PSU can't supply enough juice.. as it is mostly overated by twice its performance.

The thing i have an issue with is you giving out advice when you dont seem to know what you are talking about yourself.
As i said you seem to think that you need to reduce the power the board and hardware is drawing by 20% and say its because of 80% efficiency, thats just plain wrong. The system draws what it draws end of subject.
The power supply on the other hand can be 80% certified a lot of them are less than that and the really good ones are better than that.
Again as i said before your math dosent add up either your posted figures work out at 87.5% which is miles out.

Mactronix
December 30, 2008 7:52:09 PM

Hi there !...I bought a new PSU. A SEASONIC SS-500ET. It works fine.

So...I started to get some artefacts in games and more and more VPU recovery errors so i bought a new PSU 6 hours ago. I installed. I enter in Prince of Persia. The display flashing. It's clipping very fast. I start new game and then it stops. I play for 5 minutes and then....Vpu recovery.

I reinstall the drivers and then it doesn't work at all. When i press new game in Prince of Persia it happens what happend before. Horizontal lines apear on the screen and the system blocks.

I installed catalyst 10 with a hotfix and nothing. I tried different settings and nothing. I tried to run Brothers in Arms but the same. VPU appears but this time [with the new PSU] those artefacts disapear.

Oh, i forgot...after VPU appears and close the game, i try tu scroll down/up in FireFox and it's moving like there are no drivers installed. Fragmented.

What to do ?
December 30, 2008 7:56:37 PM

Sorry, i've made many mistakes.

"I start new game and then it stops"....the game doesn't stop.

Before i bought the new PSU, in Brothers in Arms and other games i had many artefacts. So with the new all works fine but the eror keep appearing.
December 31, 2008 7:14:12 AM

please ??
December 31, 2008 7:30:22 AM

Well, I think you should've asked for suggestions about PSU's here first, since I would have STRONGLY recommended the Corsair 550vx.

Anyways, have you got any other pc to try your videocard on? 'Cause it might be your videocard that's causing those problems here now.
December 31, 2008 10:24:50 AM

hi...Well, i'm from Romania so vene if i told you my budget you wouldn't know what prices are here. Even so...i think i managed the problem.

I take out the video card and put it again in the slot and now all works fine. I tried Call of duty 5, i've played Prince of persia for some hours and i tried Brothers in Arms to.

The only game by now that is still giving me VPU Recovery it's Need for Speed Undercover. At least it could give me in this game and not on others. It's not a big loss :D 
January 5, 2009 6:43:15 PM

hy, i got a his 4850 iceq4 turbox and i got the same problem........with the vpu recover and i just don't understand......got a therlmaltake 420 psu, e 7300 4gb dd2 ocz 2.10v and p5q motherboard....it's really annoyng......it seems that in 2d app the video graph work's fine, in 3d ..boom....i gues that the psu is at fault but i-m still w8ting for someone to give a verry good epl...
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
January 5, 2009 9:53:07 PM

Got the same problem with Asus EAH4850 1G...

System specs.

MSI K9A2 Platinum
Amd phenom x4 9850 black edition
Asus EAH4850 1G
4G ddr2 1066
1 sata dvd+rw/-rw drive
2 pata hdd

Antec sonata III with 500w psu.

I bought the pc 2 days ago.... Is there anything that I could do? I've updated drivers to latest catalyst.
January 5, 2009 10:19:55 PM

i have just instaled the his driver date 12 2008.......and in grid....mass effect and stalker clear sky.........and it work's fine ...no vpu recover ....i wonder how log will it last...
January 5, 2009 10:21:12 PM

and btw......isn' your psu a little small for your sistem? i wonder how long it will last ...your psu i mean
January 6, 2009 10:27:54 AM

back again....i just instaled gta4...playd with 1680x1050 rez, and the quality allmost max...becouse i got he 512mb version i set the settings at maximum...i have play'd grid, mass effect, stalker clear sky and nfs pro street..and ...no problem....and i will say this again...with the driver from 12/2008...until then i was using the driver from 10/2008
January 6, 2009 2:32:02 PM

Geez, for f*ck sake, don't just throw hotfixes around everywhere, 'cause they will "fix" your problem.

READ before you advise anyone to do something:
Quote:
This issue only occurs when two or more ATI Radeon HD 4850 graphic cards are installed in the system with ATI CrossFireX technology.

Installing this hotfix will probably only make it WORSE.
January 6, 2009 3:31:27 PM

forget about the hotfix......i have seen that you STRONGLY recommended the Corsair 550vx PSU...i have use'd the video card on a delux 450w....and work't perfect with a amd athlon 64x2 4200+ with the motherboard that had a amd cipset. i must say that whe i have instaled the driver on a amd cipset mb the sistem is reseting..in windows...in safe mode ..it's ok..without the driver ..it's ok....i'm starting to think that the problem is the driver+psu :) 
January 6, 2009 5:05:44 PM

im a running a c2q 3.0ghz + 4850 on a vx450, no problem here.

anyway was VPU Recover removed from Vista?
January 6, 2009 5:22:04 PM

...i really can't understand ...now i got my first vpu recover ..on xp sp2 with gta 4..... but what version...4850 turbox, 512, 1gb..? i use a iceq4 turbox 512, 685mhz /2200mhz
January 6, 2009 7:06:25 PM

@ wh3resmycare,

Removed from Vista? Hell no..

Those VPU Recoveries happen more often on Vista than on XP.

@ My9demons,
You know I've actually been talking with the shop I bought my stuff at, and they are pretty knowledgeable about pc's and stuff, they told me that the problem has to do with those types of VGA cards in combination with specific hardware. Could you tell me the exact hardware you are using?

PS: I'm switching to XP Pro this weekend, I'll tell you guys whether my BSOD's / VPU Recoveries are still here or not.

PPS: I've been using an old 9600GT for a week now.. Not a SINGLE VPU Recovery or BSOD. I used to get 2-8 Blue screens a day / VPU recoveries.

My hardware:

Motherboard: MSI P45 Neo-F ,Retail
Processor: Intel Dual Core E8400 @ 3.6ghz Scythe Mugen (31C idle, 41C @ load)
Videocard: ATi Radeon Club3D HD4850 (33C idle, 51C load)
HD: Samsung SpinPoint F1,7200RPM, SATA II, 16MB, 640GB
Memory: Kingston 800MHz, DDR2, PC6400, 4GB *2x2GB*
Power Supply: VX550 Corsair
Case: Antec Nine Hundred
January 6, 2009 7:06:42 PM

Can't even edit my messages.. Grr.
January 6, 2009 7:19:49 PM

MB Asus p5q
Proc Intel core 2 duo 2,66 (made to 3,300) NO overvoltage
Video His 4850 iceq4 turbox 685mhz/2200mhz
Hdd forgot :D  2x160 gb baracuda or something like that ...
Mem 4x1gb ddr2 ocz 800mhz (2.10v)
PSU Thermaltake 420
Case Thermaltake Mambo
Os xp proffesional sp2..now i-m gona put sp3.

What is ironic ..is that with this drver ...it takes longer for the vpu message to appear :) ))))
January 6, 2009 7:26:02 PM

a....btw i was in vista like 2 months..and no vpu recovery....i think....or i forgot...becouse the only game i had was Hellgate london......
No vpu recovery...but some restarts........
January 6, 2009 10:15:42 PM

@ the OP,

The only thing that comes to my mind is possible overheating of the GPU or/and a bummed card.

my $.02
January 7, 2009 11:52:35 AM

I think Vista changes those VPU Recoveries into Blue Screens, at least for me it does. I hardly get VPU Recoveries.

The driver that takes the VPU message longer to appear, well yeah you can change that manually too.
January 13, 2009 5:52:46 PM

Thanks M-ajesty tha link realy help me , sol problem on my video card , im using 2 hd 4850 , and wen i was playing the game world of warcraft after 30 minute or one hour monitor just wen black , i touch the card with my hand and video card are completely hot , to hat , searshing the net i come across with your poss here and find out the new hotfixt from ati , and in that forum ppl talk about power supply and all posible solution , but the one that realy did for me was the hotfixt from ati
a guy name RETIRECHIEF post it www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/News/Deta [...] wsId=24561
i follow the link , and inst the hotfixt , comp restar , i open ati ccc in start allprograms , and i find out that the hotfixt add a fand control , now i was able to increase the video card fan speed , NICE , encrease card fan speed to 80% , problem solve :)  happy :) 
THANKS GUYS
Hey if you use 2 video card , encrease the speen in both video card the SynMaster and the other
ohh when i click the link for hotfix said We're sorry, but this download request cannot be authorized. As an option, you may visit any of the pages below for information about our services and products:
so what i did , in Ati (http://www.amd.com/us-en)/website , i type in search Catalyst 8.12 Hotfix
and i find it there

this is the link that work for me
http://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=8...

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/foru [...] 0-recovery

Regards Edwinpena@hotmail.com
April 24, 2009 4:04:47 AM

OK guys, here's my experience with these same issues. I am running some of the same hardware as the previous posters or very similar. Had numerous VPU recovers and tried everything mentioned in these forums "and some" including system bios updates, downgrades, you name it etc.

Nothing I did made much difference, until I read these forums and read another poster mention the ram clocking. So I went into the bios and looked at it, saw I had it at the high end of its LISTED VOLTAGE RANGE and LOWERED MY RAM VOLTAGE. After that, I HAVE NOT HAD 1 VPU RECOVER EVENT IN 2 DAYS!. :D 
I simply lowered the voltage from 2.35 to 2.10 and WHALA!!! Have not had another VPU recover event yet. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that this was the culprit directly. I screwed up CCC and .net after uninstalling reinstalling driver versions trying to figure it out. I had to share this with you guys because I know the pain you feel. I hope this helps! Good luck my friends.

If you cant get Catalyst working than you may have a .net corruption(happens after uninstalling/reinstalling numerous driver versions). I removed all of the .net installs and installed .net 3.0 SP1 only. Works like a charm. :bounce: 

Windows XP
Q6600 9x334/3006 mhz
2 G Kingston HyperX recommended voltage 2.10-2.35.
P5Q Deluxe
Visiontek 4850 HD(stock bios) w/Zalman900 (stock clocks)
Catalyst 8.12(no hotfix) Running in extended desktop

FredH
!