Slayer32163

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I have an amd phenom II x4 955 be @ 3.6ghz stock vcore and a corsair h-50

Idle 45-55

load 55-57 They seem kinda high for a liquid cooling. Is there something i could have done wrong?

Amd phenom II x4 955 3.6ghz
4gb ddr3 1600
Sapphire hd 5850
asus m4a79xtd evo
bfg 550w psu
coolermaster haf 932

knilbeci

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
is the fan set up as intake or exhaust? the fan should suck air in from the back of the case towards the radiator, or like i posted on the other topic, maybe put more fans sandwich it =D

Slayer32163

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Well, i tried intake with one fan outside the case and one in the case and played cod 5 for about 10min and got to 55c. What if i replace the thermal paste?

p.s. I have tried artic silver 5 and the stuff was like glue and ripped my cpu out of the socket when i removed my old cpu cooler. is it supposed to do that?

knilbeci

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
In my setup I used 3 fans, as you can see below. The transparent fan sucks air in and pushes it towards the radiator, air passing thru the radiator is then suctioned by the 2 sandwiched fans and forces them into the case where they are sucked in by the fan on top and forced out. Remember hot air rises. I'm not quite sure why your temps are still elevated, are you sure that the direction of the airflow is from outside the case, through the fan and then to the radiator? Because I'm imagining if you installed the fan facing the wrong direction, it will bring hot air from the case towards the radiator and forced outside the case by the fan. The air that needs to hit the radiator must be cold, so yeah if the fan was installed facing the wrong way it'll make the radiator warm as warm air is being introduced to it. To check the direction of the airflow, put a piece of paper behind the rear computer case screen to see if the fan will suck it or blow it away.

airflow1.jpg

to sandwich them, use 2 screws to fasten the fan and radiator to the case, then the other 2 screws to fasten the 2nd fan to the radiator, then use wiring fasteners to sandwich a third fan, the 3rd is optional as many people recommend to use only 2

welshmousepk

Distinguished
the H50 isn't really a watercooler.

yes it uses water, but you cant expect it to cool like a REAL watercooling setup.
its performs alright, but no better than a high end air cooler. and in this case, those temps seems absolutely normal.