Sign in with
Your question

Help! New build problems.

Last response: in Systems
October 24, 2008 2:53:29 AM

So I recently completed a build based on the sub $1000 marathon build on toms. Basic hardware:

Mobo: MSI p45 platinum (bios v1.0)
CPU: E8400
HD: Seagate barracuda 500 G
PSU: 550W Corsair
Ram: 2G x 2 Corsair
Optical: old philips dvd/rw

I had some rough spots getting things going, but finally managed to get windows installed and things seemed to be going well. After I installed win xp 32 bit I installed AVG antivirus and fire fox. Then the problem started...

I started to get random blue screens and software crashes. Every now and again either a program will shutdown from an error or windows itself will bluescreen (which flashes to quickly for me to read) and promptly restart.

I did not seem to have this problem initally, altough I cannot guarantee when it started as I have not had a lot of time to accurately dx the problem.

I am unsure as to wether this is a hardware problem, a software problem, bios problem, both?

The only thing i can definetly see is off is my SM Bus controller is flagged in the device manager, and I can not find a p45 chipset driver update for a E8400 atm. Did I miss a compatibility issue here?

I tried a chkdsk, and it completed but as I am still a newbie and guess missed a setting to let it not continue booting after completing did not see result, but the crashes do not seem to be directly related to a read/write process (but again I can't say for sure.)

I have dl'd seatools from seagate, and the smart and short dx run ok, computer is not stable to run long test.

Video card drivers have been updated to latest possible, with no positive effect.

Not sure if a windows install problem could be the cause, but I have no reason to suspect that atm.

I know there are other things that I should do to eval different parts of the computer, but I do not know where to turn next. I have read of bios problems with this board, but am hesistant to flash the bios on such an unstable pc lest it turn into a dead mobo. All my stuff is still in a warranty period, so if I need to RMA something it is possible, but not sure what it would be.

Pls help!

edit: spelling

More about : build problems

October 24, 2008 1:26:45 PM

Update: This morning I shut the pc down, turned off the PSU for several minutes, cleared the cmos and restarted. I left AVG running just to see if it would still be there when I got back in a couple hours, and after returning everything looks ok right now. This is a vast improvement over the initial time it would be stable, and in hindsight the problem began after a few restarts due to driver updates. The SM Bus driver is still flagged and says it is not loaded, but at least it didnt' restart. Could this indicate a bios problem with the mobo? Thanks in advance.
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
October 24, 2008 1:47:13 PM

Did you install the latest motherboard drivers from your manufacturer?

You installed XP... how old? What service pack did it include?

I advise slipstreaming older versions of XP with SP3 when installing on new hardware.. google it ;) 

Sorry, short on time now.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
October 24, 2008 2:09:18 PM

Did you install the Intel INF files?
Do you have 2 antivirus installed or 2 of the same of anything else?

Test your memory with memtest86+.
October 24, 2008 2:31:38 PM

Did you use the motherboard disk, to install all of your drivers??????????
October 24, 2008 5:17:17 PM

Quote:
Did you install the latest motherboard drivers from your manufacturer?

You installed XP... how old? What service pack did it include?

I will dl the drivers from the MSI asap, i isntalled xp with sp 3 because that's what I had a liscence for :) 

Quote:
Did you install the Intel INF files?
Do you have 2 antivirus installed or 2 of the same of anything else?

Test your memory with memtest86+.

I had looked at this possibility, but the intel website that I located did not list an E8400, and I did not want to screw anything up anymore than they were already.
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=N&...
Is there somthing I am obviously missing here? I am new to building, so wasn't sure if my chip was covered in there somewhere and I just don't know what i'm looking at.

I only have 1 antivirus software running, and have installed very few programs up to this point.

I have not yet run a memtest86+, but did run burnintest, and it made it through the memory section no problem. I have not tried again since the cmos reset.

Quote:
Did you use the motherboard disk, to install all of your drivers??????????

I did use the xp driver disk that was supplied with the board, but could have missed something I guess.

Thank you very much to all who replied. I should have prefaced this whole thread with the fact that I am new to building pc's from scratch, so lots of looking stuff up. I have learned more about computers than I ever thought I would, and I just hope that it all works out in the end!
October 24, 2008 6:00:59 PM

Update: I updated my drivers from the link above and it got rid of the flagged SM Bus issue. Everything seems ok so far, just trying to get stability down so I can update the bios on the MOBO. I appreceate all the help, I'm sure these are all easy fixes if you've run into the problem before, but being new to the game makes it a little rough. Thanks for the help so far.
a c 113 B Homebuilt system
October 25, 2008 4:58:21 AM

There is a bit of a sequence we usually follow when installing an OS on a new rig. It's nothing set in stone, it's just a feeling you get over the years combined with general knowledge about how hardware and software play together.

Makes for a more stable build, or seems to for me anyway.

I'll have to give that some more thought and maybe put it in writing, get some input.
October 26, 2008 3:25:24 AM

I managed to get what I felt was an acceptable level of stability and updated the bios from 1.0 to 1.4, and so far (knock on wood) it is running well... but time will tell i guess :) 
a b B Homebuilt system
November 3, 2008 12:29:46 PM

all of that sounded like driver issues

you will be fine now
!