Importing favorites from desktop to laptop

I have saved my Favorites from internet explorer in my desktop and the
desktop. I then emailed them to my laptop and saved them on the laptop
desktop. I go to internet explorer on latop and click imort/export. I follow
the wizzard and always end up with an error saying I don't have permission
to import this file. See administratior for permission. i am the
administrator but don't know how to give permission.

Can someone help me transfer my bookmarks from my desktop to my laptop in
internet explorer.

Thank you

Lester
4 answers Last reply
More about importing favorites desktop laptop

    OK go into the C: Drive in my computer and go to documents and settings and
    go to your user name then go to favorites. Open up favorites and select all
    favorites there all the files and copy them and paste them into a folder
    someone else and zip it and email it to your laptop then take all the files
    and paste them on your laptop in the same directory you got them from the
    other computer but this time do it on the laptop then they will all show up
    under favorites in internet explorer ok thanks.

    --
    Reply back and let me know how it goes. Don''t forget to select yes if this
    was helpful on my post. I always like helping out people with there problems.

    Matthew Senecal

    "Lester Salans" <lsalanslbsadvisorsinc@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >I have saved my Favorites from internet explorer in my desktop and the
    >desktop. I then emailed them to my laptop and saved them on the laptop
    >desktop. I go to internet explorer on latop and click imort/export. I
    >follow the wizzard and always end up with an error saying I don't have
    >permission to import this file. See administratior for permission. i am the
    >administrator but don't know how to give permission.
    >
    > Can someone help me transfer my bookmarks from my desktop to my laptop in
    > internet explorer.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Lester

    While your at it, fix your date/time. Your posting in the future.

    Favorites for Internet Explorer are ordinary files within windows explorer.
    Thus, they can be copied as easily as any other file.

    If the new and old user were on the same PC, the copy & paste would take
    only seconds.

    Since you are dealing with two PCs, the trick is how to trasnfer the files
    that represent the favorites. In most cases a floppy is large enough. A
    USB pen drive would certainly work. But, emailing a ZIPed file should have
    worked too.

    However, you might want to verify that you can create a new favorite from
    outside of IE6. To do this, take any favorite that exists within IE6, found
    in you documents and settings area, then copy it somewhere else. Next
    right-click, properties and you should see two tabs called "general" and
    "web document". Change the field on the general tab to something like
    "test" without the quote. Change the field on the web document tab to any
    valid internet site. For example http://www.cnn.com/, without the quotes.
    Press "apply" and close the properties popup. Now try to copy this new
    favorite back to your documents and settings folder for favorites. If the
    copy works, open IE6 and see a new favorite and try it, and know that a
    simple copy should work. If the copy fails, you have some sort of
    permissions problem that nees to be fixed.

    Note that XP somtimes is overly protective and that even the same user name
    with the same password on two separate PCs can not share files. The fix is
    usually to use the power of the PC administrator to "take ownership" of the
    files. Alternatively, try to be sure that the favorites are not
    private/protected/encrypted, etc before you move them between PCs.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308421&sd=tech

    For this case I would not bother with the import/export wizard.

    However, if you wanted to move an entire hotmail account, then the XP
    file-and-settings-transfer wizard might be the wa to go.

    "Lester Salans" <lsalanslbsadvisorsinc@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
    >I have saved my Favorites from internet explorer in my desktop and the
    >desktop. I then emailed them to my laptop and saved them on the laptop
    >desktop. I go to internet explorer on latop and click imort/export. I
    >follow the wizzard and always end up with an error saying I don't have
    >permission to import this file. See administratior for permission. i am the
    >administrator but don't know how to give permission.
    >
    > Can someone help me transfer my bookmarks from my desktop to my laptop in
    > internet explorer.
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Lester

    I copied all favorites on PC , pasted them to a new folder I created in c
    drive called Favorites, and emailed them to myself.
    Mail arrived on laptop with copied favorites (minus several that outlook
    express deleted as unsafe).
    I could not copy the listings in the email. I was able to copy a list of
    "shortcuts to" each favorite web site. I then tried pasting into a new file
    I called favorites in my documents on c drive. Nothing appeared, i.e., I
    guess I failed to copy from the email. However I tried same several times.
    So, I,m stuck.

    Thanks for your generous and promt help. I really appreciate it. If you have
    further instructions or clarifications let me know please
    "Matthew Senecal" <MatthewSenecal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:20DF433A-3430-42DC-9BFD-CD61233B39FC@microsoft.com...
    > OK go into the C: Drive in my computer and go to documents and settings
    > and
    > go to your user name then go to favorites. Open up favorites and select
    > all
    > favorites there all the files and copy them and paste them into a folder
    > someone else and zip it and email it to your laptop then take all the
    > files
    > and paste them on your laptop in the same directory you got them from the
    > other computer but this time do it on the laptop then they will all show
    > up
    > under favorites in internet explorer ok thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Reply back and let me know how it goes. Don''t forget to select yes if
    > this
    > was helpful on my post. I always like helping out people with there
    > problems.
    > Thanks
    >
    > Matthew Senecal
    >

    > "Lester Salans" wrote:
    >
    >> I have saved my Favorites from internet explorer in my desktop and the
    >> desktop. I then emailed them to my laptop and saved them on the laptop
    >> desktop. I go to internet explorer on latop and click imort/export. I
    >> follow
    >> the wizzard and always end up with an error saying I don't have
    >> permission
    >> to import this file. See administratior for permission. i am the
    >> administrator but don't know how to give permission.
    >>
    >> Can someone help me transfer my bookmarks from my desktop to my laptop in
    >> internet explorer.
    >>
    >> Thank you
    >>
    >> Lester

Laptops Internet Explorer Desktops Favorites Windows XP