Sign in with
Your question

Virtual machine w/ DirectX 9c Shader Model 3?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 21, 2008 3:22:47 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if there is any virtual machine software out there that supports directx 9c SM3 or better using Windows XP as a guest os? I can't seem to find if VirtualBox does and it looks like VMware workstation only does 9c SM2.

Thanks!
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2008 4:19:02 PM

A while back when, I started researching for my new PC, I wondered the same thing, but I never found any VM that could do Direct3D. What exactly are you trying to do?
November 21, 2008 4:46:21 PM

I dont think there are any. And even if there are, you probably wouldn't get good performance out of it.
November 21, 2008 5:41:44 PM

Zenthar said:
A while back when, I started researching for my new PC, I wondered the same thing, but I never found any VM that could do Direct3D. What exactly are you trying to do?

I wanted to test out a app/game that I'm writing but wanted to isolate it from my host.
November 21, 2008 6:00:18 PM

put a 2nd install of xp on a different drive or partition, and dual boot it. that will keep your good install clean, and let you do as you wish with the 2nd.
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2008 6:08:44 PM

As michiganteddybear suggested, dual boot might be your only solution, but you will have to reboot between compilation and tests. Is the game you are programming unstable to the point where it could dammage the OS you are executing it on? Maybe you don't need a "sandbox" to test ...
November 21, 2008 6:43:46 PM

michiganteddybear said:
put a 2nd install of xp on a different drive or partition, and dual boot it. that will keep your good install clean, and let you do as you wish with the 2nd.
I was hoping to not have to reboot between compilations.

Zenthar said:
As michiganteddybear suggested, dual boot might be your only solution, but you will have to reboot between compilation and tests. Is the game you are programming unstable to the point where it could dammage the OS you are executing it on? Maybe you don't need a "sandbox" to test ...
I'm not completely sure about it's stability yet, just started a while back. Plus if it were to crash I wouldn't want to reboot every time if my system hangs. I was looking at developing in Linux and running it in XP. Right now I'm running XP.
November 21, 2008 6:48:27 PM

I think I'll just stick with rebooting since it'll be the most reliable. Thanks for the replies.
!