Mobo bios am2+ chip question.

robcardiv

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I baught this mobo and Cpu

Someone said that I may have to upgarde the BIOS before it will regonize my CPU.
That will mean that I have to find a new lower quality CPU to install just to upgrade the bios.. ?
Is there a way to tell what version of bios will be shipped with the motherboard?
It advertised compatability with am2+ chips.
What am I missing. Why wouldnt it be compatable right out of the box?
how do i know what to look for , in terms of compatability.. if chip type alone doesnt explain it. X_X

Mobo :

ASRock N61P-S AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157147

Cpu :

AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 95W Dual-Core black edition Processor

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103300

Unfortunately, there is not a good way to tell. If a board says it is "AM3" ready, like my Gigabyte board does on the box, then it will work. The only way to tell is to check the vendors website for the BIOS update that will work with your new processor, and then try to find out if the board you are buying has the lastest revision that will support your processor. It is kind of a crap shoot.
Also, some boards will POST with the new Phenoms, just not recognize them properly, and others will not. The first board I got would not POST with my new Phenom, so I returned for one that advertised "AM3" ready. The second board worked perfectly. My old system was a socket 939, so I was like you, no other processor available to install and update with.

robcardiv

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
I got this from thier website.
the Mobo is listed under the am2 catagory. X_X grr. which seems like false advertisement.. sense the mobo says "am2+ / am2" at newegg. making it look like am2 was first and formost.

"- Support for Socket AM2+* / AM2 processors: AMD Phenom™ FX / Phenom / Athlon 64 FX / Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core / Athlon X2 Dual-Core / Athlon 64 / Sempron processor
- Supports AMD's Cool 'n' Quiet Technology
- FSB 1000 MHz (2.0 GT/s)
- Supports Untied Overclocking Technology
- Supports Hyper-Transport Technology
- AM3 CPU Ready

*If you use AM3 / AM2+ CPU on AM2 chipset motherboard, the system bus speed will downgrade from HT3.0 (5200 MT/s) to HT1.0 (2000 MT/s), but the CPU frequency will not be influenced.""

which makes it sound like they are at least aware that am2+s are a likely option.. so maybe they will be fkn kind and include recent bios.. So I dont have to figure out how the FK im going to get a CPU that will post.

Maybe ill get lucky and the chip will at least post.

==================