Sign in with
Your question

Radeon HD 3870 Problem (I think)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 21, 2008 5:59:35 PM

Okay so guys tell me what you think, got this thing 3 months ago and only been running it for 2 months. Then one day my monitors go out, and everything was just frozen. Restarted, and it did same thing within 10 mins, restarted once again, checked temperatures in bios everything was at 35C, touched side of my case; it was cold. I pulled up speedfan watched temperatures closely everything was fine, and it stayed stable for the whole night.

Next day started it up, 10 mins and it froze, but the monitors didnt go out like it did last time, kept restarting and it kept freezing, faster and faster till it basically froze to the bootup screen. So i took the stupid thing out and it wasn't even warm, it was still cool. Well now im running onboard video, which is really gay but everythings stable and hasn't froze since, which has been about an hour.

Everything in my computer is 3 months old and my specs are,
AMD Phenom 9600 Agena 2.3GHz
GIGABYTE 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive
COOLMAX CUG-700B 700W PSU
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
SAPPHIRE Toxic Radeon HD 3870 512MB 256-bit GDDR4 PCI Express 2.0 x16

And im running WinXP Pro 64bit, just incase theres driver issues i dont know about.

More about : radeon 3870 problem

a c 184 U Graphics card
November 21, 2008 6:20:28 PM

RMA the card?
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
November 21, 2008 7:06:43 PM

Freezing on the desktop? could be a driver issue try uninstalling and then reinstalling drivers

If its crashing during games... its possible its overheating.... despite the fact you watched temperatures overnight... while not doing anything... idle temps don't mean anything btw

My bet is on software/drivers being wacky but its possible your gpu is overheating, while the card is out look at the heatsink see if you can see between the heatsink and the card... if you can thats probably not good :na:  if you can't then examine it and see how dusty it is
Related resources
November 21, 2008 7:43:53 PM

Yeah it crashed while i was playing WoW the very first time, which i thought was overheating, or psu or something, but then it crashed when i had started it up again and i wasn't even doing anything... lol i didnt really sit there and watch the temperature all night, i was multitasking with homework and various things but i have dual display so i was continually watching my temperature till i went to bed and shut it off.

I installed the card back in my comp after running off onboard flawlessly for about 2 hours, and it seems to be doing alright, i downloaded rivatuner, hella better than speedfan when looking at my gpu temp. Im thinking about trying to overload it, while keeping this temperature gage on my other monitor, but if it does overheat and freeze, what do you think i should do? because i have a smilodon case with 2x 80mm fans and 2x 120mm fans and its been running for almost 3 months without any heating problems...

The card isnt really dusty yet, had a tiny bit of dust but none now, and i dont think i can see through the heatsink so i think thats okay lol.

oh and heres the kicker, back when i first got my new system, i "multiboxed" a total of 6 WoWs while testing to see if i could push it, 6 WoW applications running simultaneously at avg of 20 fps, and it didnt so much as burp... so this is really buggin that it could be a heating issue now.

Edit***
Wow just got a random restart 5 mins after posting this... it was running at 44-45C and the GPU usage was barely 1% this is really buggin, im going to check for updates or something.
November 21, 2008 10:03:50 PM

:(  reinstalled the drivers and the whole catalyst suite, downloaded a 64bit edition off their site, uhh ran WoW to see to and push it to see if it would freeze or restart, and i got a bsod, a physical memory dump... i think maybe the memory on the card is bad..
!