ThermalTake 500w Install on Gateway

RCS

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2009
Hi all,

First post here, so please be kind. I'm installing a new 500w ThermalTake PSU into my system. This is the second attempt after the first one went kaput after about three seconds. It was replaced as defective, but I'd just like to make 100% sure that I didn't mess anything up during the install. I've done a lot of installs and upgrades to components over the years, but this is my first power supply attempt (long story short, I bought a desktop with an integrated card just before Christmas, bought Assassin's Creed on Black Friday...and so here I am upgrading my video card and PSU!). Here's the basic information:

Computer: Gateway DX4710-05
PSU: ThermalTake PurePower 500w W0100RU
Video Card (if it matters): Gigabyte ATI Radeon 4670

Here's the quickie on the last install:

Opened case and removed old power supply. Installed the ThermalTake, double checked connections and turned on. Nothing.

Triple-checked all connections, made sure everything was alright, looked good to me. Turned on the computer. Fan starts...1....2....3....POP! PSU starts to smoke and I shut it down. Disconnect all the power and leads and pull the PSU. Somethings rattling around inside. Not good. Sent back to NewEgg for replacment. Re-installed the OEM PSU and powered up...everything works fine again. Wait for replacement.

So here I sit with my new PSU, not wanting to go through that again. It would *seem* like this is a straightforward PSU swap, and from all indications it is. The only thing that concerns me a bit is that the power connector on my DVD drive has four wires, versus the five wires (black/red/yellow/black + orange) on the new PSU. Other than that, I can't imagine I did anything wrong. There appears to be four connections I removed and re-made with the new PSU (labeled in the picture below).

If you fine folks here could review my pictures and process, it would be appreciated if you could tell me if I'm concerning myself too much with an initial bad PSU, or if I did in fact do something wrong, as I'd obviously like to avoid it this time around. Plus I don't want to fry my computer (obviously).

Four connections:

1. 24-pin on the mobo
2. 4-pin for the fan motor
3. 4-wire for the DVD drive
4. 5-wire for the hard drive

Pictures below:

Current unit as it sits right now; the dvd drive; the hard drive; the connector in question that I hooked to the DVD drive; all the connectors from the ThermalTake unit.

Thanks in advance all!

gateway.jpg

dvddrive.jpg

harddrive.jpg

ata.jpg

connectors.jpg