Sign in with
Your question

ESATA directly to eSATA port or via Express Card 34?

Last response: in Storage
March 29, 2010 1:12:12 PM

Hi everyone,

Laptop storage -- trying to figure our which external port I should rather hunt for: eSATA or Express Card 34?

Here's the matter at hand - is there any transfer speed lost when connecting an external SATA HDD via Express Card 34 as opposed to connecting the exact same HDD directly to a laptops built-in eSATA connector?

I'm asking as I want to buy a laptop, swap its internal 5400rpm HDD out, replace it with a 60GB SDD, and use the swapped out HDD externally, either by directly connecting it to eSATA port or via Express Card 34, whichever is faster.

Thanks in advance!

callix
a b G Storage
March 29, 2010 2:41:59 PM

Would you get an esata adapter for the express card port? If so, why bother with an extra device/driver/thing to go wrong, just plug into esata.

Although if you haven't picked out a laptop yet, and can't find one you want with an esata port, then exp card is the alternative.
March 29, 2010 6:31:19 PM

gtvr said:
Would you get an esata adapter for the express card port? If so, why bother with an extra device/driver/thing to go wrong, just plug into esata.

Although if you haven't picked out a laptop yet, and can't find one you want with an esata port, then exp card is the alternative.

the case exactly. if eSATA port is built in, then the case is solved. But some laptops come only with an Express Card port instead (a Sony Vaio im looking at) and hence the query.

But the main issue - will one loose considerable performance by going with an eSATA-to-Express Card adapter? If so, then i'll ditch the idea and look for a laptop with eSATA built in directly into the laptop.

thanks!
a b G Storage
March 29, 2010 8:47:33 PM

From my google search, looks like performance should be up to what a sata drive can throw at it, so I wouldn't call it much of a bottleneck. Maybe search for reviews of some esata express card adapters.
!