Need help with cooling

RonBurgundy

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
I am a computer guy but I don't build a lot of systems so bear with me. Ok, so I just built my first system in about 6 years. Here are my specs:

Asus P5N-D Motherboard
Intel E8500 Duo Core (not overclocked)
(I ordered the OCZ Vendetta 2 heat sink and it will be here next week)
XFX 9800 GT Video x2 SLI
4gb ram

I am using my old Themaltake XaserV case. One fan each in front, back, and top. Then there is this little door on the side with two more fans blowing in.

When I use the ASUS utility that tells me my temperatures for the processor and my system it says:

CPU - 45C System - 44C (not under load)

Now, I read that the E8500 requires an ambient temp of 38 degrees. So here is my first question, how accurate is that utility? Secondly, are my temps that high where I should be worried? Thirdly, if my Vendetta doesn't help, what else can I do? I can't fit any more fans in my box, just no room. In fact, when the Vendetta comes, I have to take one of the side ones out.

Thanks for any help you can give me, I really appreciate it.

You stay classy!

brendin

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
ambient temp is the room temperature! not the cpu temp
45 is fine as idle
up to 70 is fine for load

if i remember correctly the Xaser cases all have 80mm fans so because u have 2 video cards i would recommend putting a 120mm fan in ur case (yes i mean pull out a jigsaw) or buy a new case that uses 120mm fans

RonBurgundy

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2008
I thought ambient temperature was the temp inside the box, not the actual room. Am I wrong? Because if it recommends an ambient temp of 38 degrees, that's a room temperature of 100.4 degrees. That's a little warm.

brendin

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2008
yes ambient temp can also refer to the case's temp

but no one really even pays attention to it as long as ur cpu and video cards are under 70 every thing is fine

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
The "Ambient Temp" spec for the processor is the MAXIMUM for the ROOM the computer is in. It is not the internal case temperature. For that matter the "System Temp" shown by the ASUS utility probably also is not the internal case temp - it is more likely to be near mobo components like the North Bridge, which also require some cooling and hence are checked by such utilities. So that temp looks OK, and certainly your CPU temp is OK.

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Dunno, I find Asus PC Probe very inaccurate. I cant tell for sure but while CoreTemp and HardwareMonitor show wery similar figures of between 40 and 42 idle, Asus PC Probe shows 28-32. After OCing the cpu to 3.64 temperatures rose to 43-45 idle, again it seems PC Probe fails to even notice and still shows 28-30. Go figure

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
I find SpeedFan to be just as accurate as Core Temp

are you talking about the heat sensors on the motherboard? Because there will be a sperate on for the cpu and other components.