2 vs 4

dbman19

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007
Is it worthing upgrading from 2gb ram to 4???

This is for gaming and will proabbly be using 32bit xp...........but might change to vista

What do you guys think??

One more thing........is there a big difference in games between 533mhz and 800mhz ram???

XP 32 bit...no
Vista 32 or 64 either one, yes.
Intel Processor? Buy 4 gig (2x2)of the fastest 800mhz memory (lowest timings) you can find.
4 sticks can be problematic, if you have 2 -1 gig sticks now, just give them away,
or sell them. I just bought 2x2 for 4 gig of Crucial 1066 memory with 7-7-7-24 timings for $40. (I have an AMD processor)
Intel system? 800mhz memory with fast timings is what you want. (Intel still ties its memory to an onboard memory controller, memory..no matter what you set it to, will run at the same buss speed as the processor. Unless you are going to be doing some huge overclocking, anything over 800mhz is a waste)
AMD system? Go ahead and get 1066 memory. (AMD has the memory controller on the processor, makes better use of 1066 memory)

Late edit and advice, ALWAYS buy memory in pairs.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
not even Vista 32-Bit can cope with 4GB you will HAVE to use 64-Bit. 533Mhz RAM is fast than 800MHz, but when I upgraded I didn't notice that much of a difference. It also depends on what you are using your computer for. A lot of games are not coded to use more than 2GB of RAM, but this will change soon I am sure.

Also with XP 2GB will perform better than with Vista, simply because of the amount of RAM vita uses just to run. If you are going to upgrade to Vista at any point I would suggest getting more RAM. I agree with jitpublisher, if you already have 2x1GB then get rid and start again. DDR2 is going for a steal these days.