P7N Diamond blue screen when turning off EIST

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
Hi, I have just installed the P7N Diamond Motherboard and want to dabble in a bit of over-clocking, nothing major. I have an E8600 with E0 stepping. I have noticed that the clock speeds always keep changing and hardly ever stay at the 3.33ghz unless under load. On my old Striker II Formula it was just a matter of turning of the EIST and the C1E and bingo constant speed. With this board all I get when turning off the EIST and the C1E, or any combination of off and on of either function is a blue screen and a re-boot. The EIST it appears has to be left on......or does it?

Any help gratefully recieved, thanks

by the way whats vCore voltage?

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
The problems with EIST and C1E Must be related to that mobo and the Nvidia chipset. You can disable EIST in windows screen saver power management. Set it to always on. You should be able to OC with C1E enabled, unless you are going hard core. My Q6600 is set to 3.2G with C1E enabled, of course that's on a P35 and P45. Try it and see if it becomes unstable.

VCore, VDD, VDDQ, VDDR, VDIMM.. Help!

gonesy

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
I have tried adjusting the power saver to maximum in Vista 32bit but that makes no difference at all, still blue screens and with EIST enabled the multiplier just decreases to average a CPU speed of just over 1.6ghz........very frustrating.

Maybe the P7N is just a pants overclocker and should be consigned to the bin!

Zorg

Splendid
May 31, 2004
In my opinion the only reason to buy an Nvidia chipset is if you absolutely must have SLI and can't swing the i7 and X58. I didn't realize that you had Vista. In either case it should still work for disabling EIST. What you are probably seeing is C1E. They both look similar except EIST is controlled by the OS and C1E is not. There are other subtle differences as well.
At any rate if you have set Vista to not give any power savings it's probably disabled in the OS and you are seeing C1E.

I leave my C1E enabled, because it runs cooler when not loaded and it doesn't really affect performance. The only reason to disable it is due to instability, which it appears you have.

Your problems might be related to other settings, take a look around in here. You could post on that site and get mobo specific info. Be sure to present more information in the opening post. The more "pertinent info" they have the better they can help. They will also be more inclined to respond.

I don't have any mobo specific info to give you, as you can tell I'm not a fan of Nvidia. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Good luck