PSU causing overheating?

Ericjergs

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I bought a X1650 pro Radeon for my computer. I know my power supply isn't good enough for the card. I am planning to buy a new PSU, but would this make my computer overheat, thus causing it to shut down during gaming?

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
PSUs generally (if not always) have their own outtake fan, and they're not a really hot component, anyway. And a better PSU won't accidentally put out too much power and overheat other components that way, either.

Bottom line, PSUs don't cause overheating.

Ericjergs

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
No, I was asking if not having enough power supply wattage would cause the overheating and shutting down of my computer.

Ericjergs

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Let me trying to make it a more precise question...

If my PSU does not have enough wattage to support my computer, will it crash during heavy load? Like playing a downloaded game, not a browser game.

If your PSU does not have enough wattage your PC will crash, it may start smoking, it possibly will never work again even with a new PSU.

If your PSU is too small it is unlikely to cause overheating, it is more likely to just fail. If you are getting overheating symptoms then you may have other issues, poor airflow for instance.

MMclachlan

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2007
Your PSU may have an over-current protection circuit. This means it will boot into Windows fine, but when you start a game you significantly increase the draw on your PSU as your gfx card starts to run full tilt. This is more power than your PSU can supply and it trips the protection circuit and shuts down your PC. Either that or it has a thermal cut-out which has the same effect, but more likely to be the former.
Bottom line is you are quite lucky that it is tripping and shutting down on you and not catching fire! Not all PSUs have these protective circuits. If you know your PSU is underpowered then go and get a more powerful one! (Before you cook your other components!)