Sign in with
Your question

Cant Control CPU Fan

Last response: in Overclocking
February 18, 2010 4:12:47 PM

Cant seem to find it on the net, but...

I have an ASUS P6X58D Mobo, Core i7-920 (non-OC) mounted with a Noctua NH-U12P cooler in push/pull config.
I get <35 C temps in idle, very happy.
I installed Asus AI suite with Fan Xpert control, and I can control the case fan with ease.
However, using the same program for the CPU fan does not work, its always at 100%.
I have it set up with a 2 fan config push/pull using the Y adapter into the CPU_FAN 4 pin connector.
Disabled the BIOS setting under hardware monitor (Q-Fan).
Still no dice, its always at 1318 rpm.
Tried using SpeedFan, still nothing.

Help is appreciated, Thanks in advance.

More about : control cpu fan

a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
February 19, 2010 1:34:36 PM

You have 2 4 pin fans connected to a 4 pin Y? If so your RPM signal is all messed up and it won't work.

If they are 3 pin fans and plugged into a 4 pin connector (PWM connector) you can't control them since your missing the PWM signal the fans have to have.
m
l
February 20, 2010 10:28:59 PM

Conumdrum said:
You have 2 4 pin fans connected to a 4 pin Y? If so your RPM signal is all messed up and it won't work.

If they are 3 pin fans and plugged into a 4 pin connector (PWM connector) you can't control them since your missing the PWM signal the fans have to have.

So what do you think I should do? Use 2 different fan connectors?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 20, 2010 11:45:39 PM

Deathmar said:
So what do you think I should do? Use 2 different fan connectors?

That is what I have done - 1 connected to the CPU fan plug and the other to the PSU fan plug on the MOBO.
m
l
a c 213 à CPUs
a c 151 K Overclocking
February 20, 2010 11:52:02 PM

Conumdrum said:

the latter I have proved myself but Enermax tested the Enermax Cluster fans for me with a PWM 4 pin Splitter and told me it worked .... I wound up not buying the fans because I had determined that while they are great acse fans, they don't work well against a big pile of closely packed metal fins :) 

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8418/cab-150/FrozenCP...

Did you use a PWM splitter ?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 86 K Overclocking
February 21, 2010 2:39:43 AM

Ohh I gues I'm wrong on the PWM splitter. It must use just one RPM wire from just one of the fans. I know if you make your own it no workie for a 3 or 4 pin fan.

When I chain fans I use just one RPM wire, cut the others off.
m
l
!