4870 1 GIG VS 260 GTX 216 both Overclocked

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
I can only say: wtf?

I think the X58 hotfix may have something to do in this.

Also, Crysis: Warhead brought both cards to their knees :p

I forgot: Seems Ati doesn't do too well in zero-g enviroments, look at dead space.

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
But i don't think they can overcome such differences as we've seen here with a general driver update, they'll need to perform some serious engine tweakings in CoD:WaW and Dead Space to reach the levels the 260 was dwelling into.

I can't say I'm not impressed by the 260 performance levels, but I think this should be confirmed by other sources.

And such an arcticle being releases just in time for black friday....

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

ive got the 3850 and dead space seems to have fps limited to 60, (can any one confirm) well my card hovers around there never drops below 50fps

Dead space is new, and maybe underlooked, or maybe hasnt been tweaked, and even if tweaked may still play better on nVidia. Its not as if nVidia lost in every game here, and that was never the case, it was on most games they were edged out, comparing a G260 and a 4870. Since then nVidia released the 216 which more or less has caught the 4870, and put it a lil ahead, but not by much, and then add new drivers aimed solely at performance, I see this as happening as possible, and expect ATI to respond

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007

i would like to see an image comparison of both cards side by side b4 i make a judgement. but your saying, that nvidia can make that kind of a jump through drivers but ati cant

SirCrono

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006

Nope, I'm saying that I don't think neither nVidia nor Ati can get a ~100% increase in performance by drivers, but they could "cheat" such an increase by tweaking the drivers for a specific engine, which would be lame.

I do think drivers could give Ati maybe a 20% percent increase in the games it's getting owned, possibli due to X58 issues.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
dead space doesn't take alot to work properly, yes there is a limit on it. Maxes out at 63 for me both on my laptop and PC.

Apperently Dead Space is like the GRID for Nvidia.

Its a good game, but I don't really like 3rd person shooters. But I might finish it.