4870 1 GIG VS 260 GTX 216 both Overclocked

Both cards are overclocked, again the 260 GTX comes out on top, with min frame rates sometimes doubling that of the ATI card...whats happening here? :o

http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews.php?reviewid=668&pageid=1
11 answers Last reply
More about 4870 overclocked
  1. Im waiting for a response. Havnt you found it strange weve seen very little in performance with the ATI drivers? Theyve been concentrating on stability, and I expect to see a response
  2. I can only say: wtf?

    I think the X58 hotfix may have something to do in this.


    Also, Crysis: Warhead brought both cards to their knees :P

    I forgot: Seems Ati doesn't do too well in zero-g enviroments, look at dead space.
  3. Ive been waiting for ATI driver improvements, it only makes sense if both cards had them coming, that nVidia being somewhat behind, would go first. Only time will tell tho
  4. But i don't think they can overcome such differences as we've seen here with a general driver update, they'll need to perform some serious engine tweakings in CoD:WaW and Dead Space to reach the levels the 260 was dwelling into.

    I can't say I'm not impressed by the 260 performance levels, but I think this should be confirmed by other sources.

    And such an arcticle being releases just in time for black friday....
  5. SirCrono said:
    I can only say: wtf?

    I think the X58 hotfix may have something to do in this.


    Also, Crysis: Warhead brought both cards to their knees :P

    I forgot: Seems Ati doesn't do too well in zero-g enviroments, look at dead space.

    ive got the 3850 and dead space seems to have fps limited to 60, (can any one confirm) well my card hovers around there never drops below 50fps
  6. Dead space is new, and maybe underlooked, or maybe hasnt been tweaked, and even if tweaked may still play better on nVidia. Its not as if nVidia lost in every game here, and that was never the case, it was on most games they were edged out, comparing a G260 and a 4870. Since then nVidia released the 216 which more or less has caught the 4870, and put it a lil ahead, but not by much, and then add new drivers aimed solely at performance, I see this as happening as possible, and expect ATI to respond
  7. SirCrono said:
    But i don't think they can overcome such differences as we've seen here with a general driver update, they'll need to perform some serious engine tweakings in CoD:WaW and Dead Space to reach the levels the 260 was dwelling into.

    I can't say I'm not impressed by the 260 performance levels, but I think this should be confirmed by other sources.

    And such an arcticle being releases just in time for black friday....



    i would like to see an image comparison of both cards side by side b4 i make a judgement. but your saying, that nvidia can make that kind of a jump through drivers but ati cant
  8. dead space is the best game on the market at the moment, would advise anyone thats not tried it give it a try
  9. rangers said:
    i would like to see an image comparison of both cards side by side b4 i make a judgement. but your saying, that nvidia can make that kind of a jump through drivers but ati cant


    Nope, I'm saying that I don't think neither nVidia nor Ati can get a ~100% increase in performance by drivers, but they could "cheat" such an increase by tweaking the drivers for a specific engine, which would be lame.

    I do think drivers could give Ati maybe a 20% percent increase in the games it's getting owned, possibli due to X58 issues.
  10. dead space doesn't take alot to work properly, yes there is a limit on it. Maxes out at 63 for me both on my laptop and PC.

    Apperently Dead Space is like the GRID for Nvidia.

    Its a good game, but I don't really like 3rd person shooters. But I might finish it.
  11. I'm pretty sure the dead space cap is removable, both cards go over a 100 fps in the test.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Gtx ATI Graphics