Sign in with
Your question

Router Modem and Nic speeds

Last response: in Networking
April 16, 2009 6:53:58 PM

Hi,

Can someone explain to me the speed in a cable modem as compared to a 10/100/1000 NIC. I want to understand just how fast a modem will allow your NIC to travel, can you use the total speed of a Gig NIC? Or does the modem limit the speed? If so, then what good is it to have a fast NIC if the modem doesn't allow you to utilize the complete speed of the card?

Say I have a Wireless N Router with 4 ports that have Gig speed, Now I connect my PC via RJ45 to one of these ports, now I know my home network will allow me greater travel speeds, file transfer and all that, but will my modem bottleneck or allow full functionality?

Thanks for all your assists,

Always learning.
April 16, 2009 7:19:20 PM

Your internet connection speed will be the limiting factor. If you have a 16Mb connection then that is the limit of your download speed. Full 100MB or even 10MB internet connections would be expensive. The school I work for has a 40MB connection and download speeds are good. Some sites I have seen download at 10MB per second.
As for the home network part the modem will have no affect on transfers from one computer to another within your network.
!