Sign in with
Your question

Sapphire 4870 card seems to be overheating.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 22, 2008 3:42:33 PM

Hello, I have Sapphire Radeon HD 4870 512MB and I decided to play mass effect on all high setting. Things worked great, performance was great. I have happy. However I think my graphics hard overheated. The reason is I was playing and suddenly everything became pixely and whalla....I had to restart my computer. From my knowledge its because the graphics hard overheated.

I don't know how to get fan control....sO I can set it to idk...60%
Catalyst keeps saying its at 22% I never really changes.
Catalyst also says my temp is 68C! To me thats a lot....I just turned on my computer its like 40 degrees in my room and in one minutes its 68C!? Strange.

I don't want to overclock I just want to make sure it stays...within its range of coolness.

If I change the games setting to just high and not ultra high texture will that help it stay in range?

I have a small fan that pulls cool room air into it....directly onto it....and a big one that pulls hot air all out.

So, questions.

How do I get manual control over my graphics card fan? Catalyst fan control doesn't seem to work.
Is there any other software that may help?

Thankyou
November 22, 2008 4:01:35 PM

Did you check the little box that says Enable Manual Fan Control?
November 22, 2008 4:24:09 PM

yes, yes I have.....and the apply button....nothing seems to happen.
Related resources
November 22, 2008 4:30:20 PM

shadowx089 said:
t turned on my computer its like 40 degrees in my room and in one minutes its 68C!? Strange.

I don't want to overclock I just want to make sure it stays...within its range of coolness.

How do I get manual control over my graphics card fan? Catalyst fan control doesn't seem to work.
Is there any other software that may help?

Thankyou

68C is SO within the range of safe temps. these cards can handle up to around 85-90C and are still safe. i think the max temp for them is around 100C but you should stay below the 90C's.

you might want to use other programs to check your temps such as Hw Monitor

http://downloads.guru3d.com/HWMonitor-1.07-download-184...

you can also use RivaTuner 2.20 to manual adjust the fan speed if CCC isn't working for you.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=163

a c 191 U Graphics card
November 22, 2008 5:27:54 PM

And did you activate Overdrive by clicking on the padlock icon? without Overdrive enabled the fan control won`t work.
November 22, 2008 6:13:04 PM

aznguy0028 said:
68C is SO within the range of safe temps. these cards can handle up to around 85-90C and are still safe. i think the max temp for them is around 100C but you should stay below the 90C's.
68C at idle is way to hot. ATI and Nvidia like their fans to spin slow to keep anyone from complaining about the noise. They would rather have them cook then hear the bytching. I find it disconcerting.

Try ATI Tray Tools. After you load it, right click on the icon next to the clock and click Hardware -> Overclock Settings and click on the fan tab. Set your fan speed profile and click load selected profile at startup. Then reboot and test.

Let me know if it doesn't work, there are other programs, but this is the simplest to use.
November 23, 2008 1:18:25 AM

Well? was it good for you?... Or not?
November 23, 2008 5:37:57 AM

Zorg said:
68C at idle is way to hot. ATI and Nvidia like their fans to spin slow to keep anyone from complaining about the noise. They would rather have them cook then hear the bytching. I find it disconcerting.

Try ATI Tray Tools. After you load it, right click on the icon next to the clock and click Hardware -> Overclock Settings and click on the fan tab. Set your fan speed profile and click load selected profile at startup. Then reboot and test.

Let me know if it doesn't work, there are other programs, but this is the simplest to use.

i thought he meant it was 68C when he was gaming. if it is idle, then that is pretty high. i agree.
November 23, 2008 8:18:08 AM

aznguy0028 said:
i thought he meant it was 68C when he was gaming. if it is idle, then that is pretty high. i agree.
I knew you misread it. It happens to us all. Probably me more than most.

So, did ATI Tray Tools work? I am significantly more frustrated by no response than a misread.

DID IT WORK?
November 23, 2008 6:59:31 PM

OKay, it working now. I have the fan on 40% and its 47C right now. Thanks....they could at least tell you that you need to check overdrive right next to the fan control check box!....jezz

Anyway Thanks
December 1, 2008 1:48:50 PM

Also the last version of ATI Catalyst(I think it was 8.12) work well in my system and I can change my fan speed.
!