Sign in with
Your question

Will My PSU power two GTX 260's?

Last response: in Components
January 19, 2009 11:01:07 PM

Hi there everyone. I'm a long time READER of the forums and articles on here, but I finally couldn't find an actual answer to my question ANYWHERE, so here I go. I keep trying to find whether a 700w PSU will power two GTX 260s. I believe the power supply I have is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... However, if that's it, the price dropped right after I bought it :fou:  But anyway, I'm currently in the middle of building my new system, and was wondering about maybe purchasing a second 260 in the not-too-distant future. So I did my research, and couldn't find ANYTHING. SLI calculators say that 700w is FINE, and every other forum on the internet always ends up being resolved by the OP going "Thanks guys, I decided to just play the safe side and upgrade my PSU anyway" which doesn't help me, as I'm not interested in upgrading my PSU right now. For the time being, I would only purchase a new graphics card if my PSU can handle it. Here's the system I'm building:

Q6600 (have yet to purchase) (Will OC to 3.2Ghz)
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
Nvidia 750i
OCZ 700w PSU
EVGA GTX 260 (Core 216) (SuperClocked Edition running at 700/2200, I believe is what it's set at)
Antec 900
4GB OCZ DDR2 1066 (2 sticks @ 2.2v)
LG DVD Burner

I believe that's everything. Please and thank you for your time/help!

More about : psu power gtx 260

January 19, 2009 11:37:56 PM

Short answer is yes. I have the 600w OCZ Stealthstream running for more than year in my son's gaming rig. He uses the Q6600 and currently a single 9800GT, but I have had the PSU configured in SLI and many configurations with no problem. I have a 700w unit (not OCZ) powering the system in My Configuration for more than a year. Here's an article on the OCZ 600w version powering two systems at once.

http://www.sysopt.com/features/cases/article.php/12024_...
January 20, 2009 1:10:48 AM

Thanks for the quick reply. I hope this thread will draw some more attention (hopefully from someone with 260's in SLI >.>) but in the unless somebody comes on and says "I've tried it, it's impossible," I'll just go with a yes. Thankee!
January 20, 2009 2:08:08 AM

Your power supply has 80%+ of efficiency, that means it can power anything you need. If you are not in the area (physics or engineering) you will never understand why I said that with so much confidence but I will try to explain you anyway:
When u overclock a microchip you will never know the result b4 trying it yourself... not even reading articles from someone with the exact same equipment you have and that is because you are running the chip out of its specification - once you do that you cannot trust on the chip's specifications (for example rupture voltage, reverse current, power consumption) because the chip maker did not tested the chip on that clock speed and silicon specifications vary with temperature, clock speed, air humidity, etc.
With that in mind u can imagine why when u overclock a chip u want the max stability of everything....that’s why u see 1+ kW PSUs on the market.
Your 700 W (80 plus certified) PSU is enough for any desktop computer u might build; 3-way SLI with GTXs 280 is also included.
You should not trust in power consumption charts from any third part sites or even from tech blogs where "smart" kids think they know what they are doing.
Alternate current circuits require another kind of physics, that’s why it (alternate current) is not found on regular physics books.
For example, to calculate power for alternate current equipment u need to take in consideration the angle between phases...It means that the number u read on the multimeter for power or voltage has a complex part (u remember complex numbers don’t u ?) and that can change things a bit.
Rest assured that your power supply unit is enough.
I have a workstation running 2 quad-core opterons, PCI I-RAM, 6 500GB Hard drivers, 8GB DDRII, 2x Geforce GTX 260 SLI and 9 fans on a Asus L1N64-SLI WS/B - all that is powered up by a 700W power supply from Seventeen...I read 586W direct from socket with full system loaded and that include a heavy loaded switcher, 2 idle phones and a idle printer.
!