Sign in with
Your question

Will intel i7 920 cpu bottleneck 4870 x2???

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2008 4:11:20 PM

I've been contemplating a new PC for a while and have decided to go all out and get myself a 4870X2 GPU. However intel's new i7 processor looks impressive. The problem is as i'm going for such a high end GPU I can only afford the lower i7 920 cpu clocked at 2.66Ghz. Does anyone think this may hinder the performance of the 4870x2? Might I be better to buy say a Q9550 at similar price and maybe oc a bit?

Thanks.
November 22, 2008 4:15:41 PM

wont bottleneck it but you can overclock the 920 also.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2008 4:23:36 PM

Thanks homeboy2. However I thought Intel had locked down overclocking on the new i7's with the exception of the extreme edition as they've cottoned on to the fact people are buying slower cheaper cpu's and oc them?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2008 4:29:25 PM

no it will not bottleneck. today's high end cpu dont really bottleneck the 4870x2. yes there is rumor it is limited but i have seen really benchmark showing there great overclockers.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2008 4:37:50 PM

My P4 oc @ 3.4Ghz and 7800GS+ has served me well. But it's now time to move on.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2008 4:43:35 PM

Quote:
Really, when are people going to stop posting stupid bottleneck topics, also this bit was a gem.

Quote:
as they've cottoned on to the fact people are buying slower cheaper cpu's and oc them

Really, no **** sherlock, do you think this is a new thing!!!!!!!!! you think they are only now realising that a minority of people are overclocking their cpu's so they are locking them down.

If you haven't noticed multipliers have been locked on all procs bar EE ones for a while now.

I was thinking this was a little harsh but you bought a p4 and a 7 series nvidia, you deserve no mercy.

It's not a stupid question regarding bottlenecking. It's simply I don't know how you work out how much CPU power you need when married to the fastest GPU on the planet. Can anyone explain to me if there is a mathemitical way to work this out?
November 22, 2008 4:45:26 PM

Bottlenecking isnt a problem if your hardware delivers for you. If you are getting good enough FPS then dont even worry about it, dont lose sleep over it. Not to mention Core i7 kills the Core 2's in multi GPU setups.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2008 4:54:36 PM

spathotan said:
Bottlenecking isnt a problem if your hardware delivers for you. If you are getting good enough FPS then dont even worry about it, dont lose sleep over it. Not to mention Core i7 kills the Core 2's in multi GPU setups.

Ya know you're quite right. I'm probably worrying too much but like strangestranger posted in the last reponse I'm just trying to make sure as best as possible that my new purchases will complement eaqch other.

Thanks guys.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2008 4:57:44 PM

Quote:
Oh and in case you do honestly think i am being too harsh and it isn't that you have the brain of a gnat.

Watch this http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

I've never understood why people feel the need to be insulting. It's not necessary, we can all have our views why not give constructive critisism in a mature manner. At the end of the day we all share a common interest which is gaming lets just enjoy it.
November 22, 2008 4:58:20 PM

Dont forget that overclocking i7 is just about the easiest thing ever. All you do is up the BCLK and you are done. Think for the 920 (maybe all of them) it starts at 133mhz, multiplyer on the chip is 20, just do the math.
November 22, 2008 5:10:59 PM

Too many people on this forum spread misinformation about the affects a CPU bottleneck has on performance. If you are able to get over 60 frames per second at 800x600 in a game, raising the resolution to 1920x1200 is not going to give your CPU any more work. The i7 920 is clocked at 2.67GHz, so it will be clock for clock, faster than an Q6700. It should not be holding a 4870 X2 back at all.
November 22, 2008 5:32:29 PM

I got the i7 920 running at 3.8 as I type, with the stock cooler. This chip is the ****!!! 4.0 will boot but gets to hot during prime, so as soon as I get a good cooler I will take it back to 4.0.

This thing is easy as or easier to oc then core 2 duos. Ram is much easier to overclock. My 1333 ram can run 1600 no problem with 1.6v.

I will have a thread up later with some pics and benches.
November 22, 2008 5:34:56 PM

Isn't it amazing how much effort and how many pointless posts a forum troll will expend to make their point about pointless posts?
L-O-S-E-R
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2008 5:37:28 PM

Quote:
O.k fine, a mature response, you honestly want a mature response.

Well, first, instead of posting something like this, do your own research, search for , not post question on here and other forums which may relate to your question.

Read multiple reviews and compare results to find consistency. If you are wondering how a 2.6 proc will do with the 4870x2, read 4870x2 reviews, then see how a 2.6 i7 does if thats not available, try and extrapolate how well it would do by guesstimating the difference between a C2Q and similar speed i7.

basically, do your own dirty work, if you have a query relating to your research and it hasn't been answered in another post, then post away but you should not expect people to do the work for you especially if they have already done it for someone else.

I thought the whole point of forums was to share ideas and ask questions. Sorry if your interpretation is different from everyone elses in the world. As for dirty work if people don't want to share their knowledge they don't have to and not respond the question being asked.
November 22, 2008 6:13:38 PM

Kkkk1 said:
I thought the whole point of forums was to share ideas and ask questions. Sorry if your interpretation is different from everyone elses in the world. As for dirty work if people don't want to share their knowledge they don't have to and not respond the question being asked.

But if the question has been asked multiple times and has been answered in several articles, there's really no point in asking. You've wasted more time trying to get an answer from people who won't give it to you than you would have searching for it yourself. There is a search box on this site... :pfff: 
November 22, 2008 6:41:27 PM

Quote:
O.k fine, a mature response, you honestly want a mature response.
Take a deep breath and open a beer. ;) 
roadrunner197069 said:
I got the i7 920 running at 3.8 as I type, with the stock cooler. This chip is the ****!!! 4.0 will boot but gets to hot during prime, so as soon as I get a good cooler I will take it back to 4.0.

This thing is easy as or easier to oc then core 2 duos. Ram is much easier to overclock. My 1333 ram can run 1600 no problem with 1.6v.

This is the first post I've seen on someones personal experience with the i7. I must confess I haven't been looking though.

Tell us all about it. We, or at least I, want to live vicariously through you. My Q6600 isn't going anywhere soon. Maybe I should sell it.

So this is manually through FSB increase?

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2008 6:53:41 PM

Hey roadrunner197069, mind giving us temps readings,etc? And a CPUZ valid link?
November 22, 2008 6:59:08 PM

I'm getting ready to put up a post.
November 22, 2008 7:15:05 PM

If it's a new thread, then give us a link.
a b U Graphics card
November 22, 2008 7:48:01 PM

joros said:
But if the question has been asked multiple times and has been answered in several articles, there's really no point in asking. You've wasted more time trying to get an answer from people who won't give it to you than you would have searching for it yourself. There is a search box on this site... :pfff: 

I didn't though cos if you read responses 2 and 3 i think you'll find it was answered. Thank you to those people.
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 22, 2008 7:50:33 PM

roadrunner197069 said:

We appreciate your enthusiasm but you don't have to exhagerate. An E8600 still overclocks as easily (or easier) than an i7 920. Given the performance benefits of the new architecture, one should still chose i7 unless they're looking to use a cheaper board and RAM.
November 22, 2008 7:54:06 PM

Awe, don't piss on his parade. ;) 
a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2008 1:06:18 AM

^ :lol: 
November 23, 2008 1:10:10 AM

What? Let it go.

November 23, 2008 1:21:21 AM

Let what go? Really.

Also Crashman, what exactly is he exaggerating? Hes squeezed another 1.2ghz out of his chip with the stock cooler with apparent ease. I dont think an E8600 can do that.
November 23, 2008 1:51:11 AM

spathotan said:
Let what go? Really.

Also Crashman, what exactly is he exaggerating? Hes squeezed another 1.2ghz out of his chip with the stock cooler with apparent ease. I dont think an E8600 can do that.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly.

Stop pissing on his parade, [isn't that illegal?]

:D 
November 23, 2008 1:52:05 AM

spathotan said:
Let what go? Really.

Let it all go.

Do you understand that?

If not, the Q6600 will rock at 4+G, so what you talkin' about.

Let me know, really.

Let us all have a CPU fight for the 100th time.

Instead let us all move on.
November 23, 2008 1:54:35 AM

Calm down :sweat:  . Go report some post or something.
November 23, 2008 2:07:42 AM

FrozenGpu and spathotan don't argue with Crashman unless you feel like a man.

I'm not saying don't argue with him, but be sure ....

All I said was don't piss on roadrunner197069 parade, you guys chose to move on that. I don't understand that.

Can't we all get along. [no smileys]
November 23, 2008 2:09:40 AM

spathotan said:
Calm down :sweat:  . Go report some post or something.
Are you talking to me, or someone else?
November 23, 2008 2:10:25 AM

Anyone?

Obviously not.

So let us all understand that Crashman is a bad a$$ and we are all grateful for his work.

I say thank you Crashman for your input.

Anyone else with input?

November 23, 2008 3:10:55 AM

Is that suposted to be sarcasm, or am I suposted to be bending over because Crashman "works" with this website?

If its the latter, then its not going to happen.

Regardless, I think it was best said when the thread is over.
November 23, 2008 3:41:10 AM

You are suppose to give a little respect. I touched him, and you guys should give him the respect that he deserves.

By the way, I am on his side on this non argument... I have learned that he won't comment unless he is covered.

So why do you peeps want to loose an argument?

spathotan, you feel ballsy?

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2008 3:43:57 AM

spathotan said:
Let what go? Really.

And here I thought "ease of overclocking" would refer to final clock speed. If any clock speed counts, then perhaps we should be buying the Pentium 3 500E, which could often be overclocked by 100% :bounce: 
November 23, 2008 3:46:48 AM

Zorg said:
You are suppose to give a little respect. I touched him, and you guys should give him the respect that he deserves.

By the way, I am on his side on this non argument... I have learned that he won't comment unless he is covered.

So why do you peeps want to loose an argument?

spathotan, you feel ballsy?

Respect for what, if you are refering to Roadrunners system then he has respect, I never "offended it". If you are refering to Crashman then....respect for what? And this has nothing to do with balls, youre the only one trying to drag them out there, I could care less. Stop brown nosing and let the thread die. I dont care about "sides" of anything, I didnt realize this was a war. Stop blowing **** up and let it go.

Who are "you peeps" and what argument is there to be had? Are you even responding to the right thread? Are you drunk?
November 23, 2008 3:47:10 AM

Ya feel lucky? Well, do ya?, punk! :lol: 
November 23, 2008 3:59:06 AM

Crashman said:
And here I thought "ease of overclocking" would refer to final clock speed. If any clock speed counts, then perhaps we should be buying the Pentium 3 500E, which could often be overclocked by 100% :bounce: 

Apparently our definitions of "ease of overclocking" are different. 2.66 to 3.8 is pretty damn good with the stock cooling. There is nothing "exaggerated" about that. So what was the meaning of you saying that again?

Im not looking forward to reading a bunch of charts and graphs, and having to go back and refresh on mastercraft terms and meanings. So just explain why he is "exaggerating" his results. Im a fan of this thread ending/being killed, so please deliver one way or another. Ill happily be proven wrong.
November 23, 2008 4:01:26 AM

Let me say that there was a misunderstanding. I have liked your posts in the past.

Don't piss on Crashman, because he gives his advice sparingly. And he is usually right.

November 23, 2008 4:03:54 AM

Zorg said:
Let me say that there was a misunderstanding. I have liked your posts in the past.

Don't piss on Crashman, because he gives his advice sparingly. And he is usually right.

There was a misunderstanding, I wasnt pissing on him or anybody. I just dont understand his comment about the OC. Im not looking to start a flamefest, trust me. The last thing I want is to be targeted as a troll or something as I frequent this site alot
November 23, 2008 4:04:27 AM

dbl post

a b U Graphics card
a b à CPUs
November 23, 2008 4:07:15 AM

spathotan said:
Apparently our definitions of "ease of overclocking" are different. 2.66 to 3.8 is pretty damn good with the stock cooling. There is nothing "exaggerated" about that. So what was the meaning of you saying that again?

Im not looking forward to reading a bunch of charts and graphs, and having to go back and refresh on mastercraft terms and meanings. So just explain why he is "exaggerating" his results. Im a fan of this thread ending/being killed, so please deliver one way or another. Ill happily be proven wrong.

The "exxageration" was to say the i7 920 was easier to overclock than the Core 2 Duo. I don't believe it's easier. And even though I don't believe it's easier to overclock, I still recommended it.
November 23, 2008 4:13:16 AM

Crashman said:
The "exxageration" was to say the i7 920 was easier to overclock than the Core 2 Duo. I don't believe it's easier. And even though I don't believe it's easier to overclock, I still recommended it.

Ok....ok. Same page now, finally.
November 23, 2008 4:22:18 AM

You are not targeted as a troll in my eyes, you don't fit the profile nor does anyone else in this thread.

As I said, let it go, If you have data... I mean... information to support an argument against Crashman then present it, otherwise don't do it. You are not equipped.

Let his comment stand.

November 23, 2008 9:47:31 AM

spathotan said:
Respect for what, if you are refering to Roadrunners system then he has respect, I never "offended it". If you are refering to Crashman then....respect for what? And this has nothing to do with balls, youre the only one trying to drag them out there, I could care less. Stop brown nosing and let the thread die. I dont care about "sides" of anything, I didnt realize this was a war. Stop blowing **** up and let it go.

Who are "you peeps" and what argument is there to be had? Are you even responding to the right thread? Are you drunk?
I wanted to let it die, but you pissed on me.

The i7 is cool and the arguments will commence. Crashman is an Icon. I wasn't brown nosing him because he was getting payed. I was brown nosing because he is a bada$$. :lol: 

If you will look back I, unknowingly, started this attack against him with a benign comment to not piss roadrunner197069s parade. Now given the fact that I have complete respect for him and I somehow caused plebes to piss on him, don't you think I would defend him? Well obviously I would, especially since he would eat you guys for lunch and I would just be here for the ride. :lol: 

I do like the personal attacks though. "Are you drunk? Are you even responding to the right thread?" Nice work.

It doesn't change the fact that you, improperly, ran with a benign comment that I made. Maybe you need to search your own soul.

Don't be hatin :lol: 
November 23, 2008 12:08:55 PM

All hail Crashman! Blessed be his name! Lord of the Forums!
November 23, 2008 12:58:58 PM

No, but close.
November 23, 2008 2:02:52 PM

If you love him so much why dont you marry him! :love:  :love:  :love:  :lol: 
November 23, 2008 3:25:29 PM

Homey,... confused? It is respect, have you ever heard of it?
November 23, 2008 4:09:57 PM

(oo) What you want
(oo) Baby, I got
(oo) What you need
(oo) Do you know I got it?
(oo) All I'm askin'
(oo) Is for a little respect when you come home (just a little bit)
Hey baby (just a little bit) when you get home
(just a little bit) mister (just a little bit)

I ain't gonna do you wrong while you're gone
Ain't gonna do you wrong (oo) 'cause I don't wanna (oo)
All I'm askin' (oo)
Is for a little respect when you come home (just a little bit)
Baby (just a little bit) when you get home (just a little bit)
Yeah (just a little bit)

I'm about to give you all of my money
And all I'm askin' in return, honey
Is to give me my profits
When you get home (just a, just a, just a, just a)
Yeah baby (just a, just a, just a, just a)
When you get home (just a little bit)
Yeah (just a little bit)

Ooo, your kisses (oo)
Sweeter than honey (oo)
And guess what? (oo)
So is my money (oo)
All I want you to do (oo) for me
Is give it to me when you get home (re, re, re ,re)
Yeah baby (re, re, re ,re)
Whip it to me (respect, just a little bit)
When you get home, now (just a little bit)

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Take care, TCB

Oh (sock it to me, sock it to me,
sock it to me, sock it to me)
A little respect (sock it to me, sock it to me,
sock it to me, sock it to me)
Whoa, babe (just a little bit)
A little respect (just a little bit)
I get tired (just a little bit)
Keep on tryin' (just a little bit)
You're runnin' out of foolin' (just a little bit)
And I ain't lyin' (just a little bit)
(re, re, re, re) 'spect
When you come home (re, re, re ,re)
Or you might walk in (respect, just a little bit)
And find out I'm gone (just a little bit)
I got to have (just a little bit)
A little respect (just a little bit)

Gotcha Zorgy baby! :D 
!