Sign in with
Your question

Question about OCing

Last response: in Overclocking
February 18, 2010 11:15:42 PM

Just a quick question,
Will I be successfully overclocking if I simply just increase my CPU FSB? I didnt save the changes but I did it in BIOS just to see, and I could see the Adjusted CPU speed below it was also increasing.

All the other settings, voltages etc is on Auto so I assume they would increase/decrease as necessary automatically.

So is the above all I need to do?
I would ofcourse keep an eye on the cpu temperature

My motherboard is a MSI P43 Neo-F and my CPU is a Intel Core 2 Duo E8500

Thanks

More about : question ocing

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 19, 2010 1:16:46 AM

Sure, give it a try. Don't increase the FSB more than 5% higher than its default setting when you begin. Auto does not mean the settings will increase or decrease based on the FSB changes from default - Auto means the values for your hardware's default settings; the BIOS values will not change. But, you can press your KB Enter key to see what settings are available (and change them when you are confident the values you are selecting are within your hardware's limits).

Read your motherboard manual's BIOS chapter, become very familiar with the BIOS selection names. If they're too cryptic, google them, read and understand as much as you can. Enter your BIOS while you have the manual open, look through the manual's screenshots and compare them with your BIOS screens. Did I suggest you read the manual's sections on the BIOS settings?
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
February 19, 2010 7:33:12 AM

Xanity said:

All the other settings, voltages etc is on Auto so I assume they would increase/decrease as necessary automatically.

The problem with Auto settings is that you do not know what the system is doing. CPU settings should not be on Auto. Auto settings seem to frequently run the CPU voltage higher that it needs to.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 19, 2010 1:10:12 PM

jsc said:
The problem with Auto settings is that you do not know what the system is doing. CPU settings should not be on Auto. Auto settings seem to frequently run the CPU voltage higher that it needs to.

That's because every CPU is slightly different, some will become unstable at 1.18v and some will become unstable at 1.19. When the hardware engineers and programmers build the "Auto" seetings in BIOS, they've tested countless of CPUs and they prefer to "err" on the high voltage side rather than saving half a watt or being cooler by half a Celsius. I'm agreeing with you that you might bet a CPU that after you find out it's completely stable on Auto settings and you note down the voltage asit goes through its range while EIST is kicking in, you manually find a lower voltage and its still completely stable. But how many CPUs are like that? I'll say a small percentage and not the majority of cases.

So, although Auto settings are always the best for individual users who pick up and amazing chip, it's the best settings that the engineers selected/designed based on gazzillions of CPUs tested for a particualr mobo, lol.

For the OP, with very slight overclocks you might be able to get away with Auto settings for voltages. But as you go higher and you'll probaly have to disable EIST/C1E (to increase stabilty) and eventually you'll have to manually pick your voltages.

What is the CPU cooler?
!