DrnknM0nkey

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
I would appreciate some advice on which motherboard would be best suited for an E8500 which will be overclocked.

My rig will have an HD4870 and eventually crossfire another.

It will be used for graphics/web design with some moderate gaming (COD5 etc).

I want it to support DDR3 and the latest Quad for an upgrade next year.

Budget £100 / $150 (can go higher if significantly worth it)

Last time I checked the GA-EP35C-DS3R seemed like a good choice.

Please feel free to question any of my requirements - if you think otherwise. Also could you justify your recommendation so it can help me make a choice and educate me!!

---
Ps, I am sorry if a similar question has been answered, I have looked but couldn't find anything.

DrnknM0nkey

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Forgot to mention:

I can only browse the net at work. And there are a ridiculous amount of websites which are blocked.( I think it may have to do with the banners or adverts on them - Either way, its out of my control) So, many of the results from Google i cannot view - In case anyone was going to post links to an already answered question...

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Hi there,

I would go with some p45 based board, like GA-EP45-DS3 or something from Asus P5Q series. I think going for ddr3 option for future upgrade is a bit pointless because it will be pretty much limited by FSB on lga775 platform, and personally i dont like/trust "hybrid" solutions. For max £100 you can get very good and stable board that will suit your needs, already mentioned GA-EP45-DS3 is £99.99 at ebuyer.com

DrnknM0nkey

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
Thanks for the advice. Think you’re right and ill avoid DDR3.

Anymore recommendations? Also, do you know why ebuyers prices fluctuate so dramatically? I had my eye on the Antec P180 case a month back at £60 - its now £100!!!

DrnknM0nkey

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
thanks peaks.

whats the difference between those boards? GA-EP45-DS3 and the GA-EP45-UP3P
If its significant i may be able to stretch my budget...

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Thats UD3P you meant, right? :) Generally it has better cooling, ICH10R chipset so raid support, maybe some other extra features. Im sure both are very good boards. Question for you is whether you want/need those features for £32. Personally i would spend it on extra 2 GB of ram or something, but thats just me.

DrnknM0nkey

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2006
lol, no wonder i couldnt find it anywhere.... i blame peaks - i just copied and pasted what he/she wrote! Dont need raid but better cooling sounds appealing. However it doesnt sound like its worth £32 - but the extra ram does!

Thanks again for your feedback. guess its gonna be the DS3 model.

Peaks

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008

lol sorry sloppy typing ;)

MaDmagik is right, the extra features of the UD3 board are things like raid, which is not really a neccesity for a decent build...although added cooling is a nice touch.

The BIOS in the UD3 board is so very simply to use, Gigabyte have moved the F7 tweak options to appear as standard making it a board that is built specifically for overclocking.

its up to you though man, extra RAM is a good idea!