8GB Dominator 1066 only running at 800

Chrisf88

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Alrighty, been beating my head against a wall for a few days now.

I'm running

8GB (4 x 2gb) Corsair Dominator
Asus Crosshair II Formula
Phenom 9950 BE

I've been delving through forums all over the net and have gotten mixed views on what's really going on here. From what I've been seeing is that AM2+ processors wont run more than one stick of 1066 memory per channel without dropping the speed to 800. Changing the BIOS setting to 1066 as opposed to 'Auto' for the memory just causes the computer to not boot. Is there a way that I can force the four sticks to run at 1066?

Thanks,
Chris

Mondoman

Splendid
I would think that changing the BIOS setting to 1066 IS forcing the 4 sticks to run at 1066 and the failure to boot is the result. Running all 4 at DDR2-800 instead of DDR2-1066 shouldn't noticeably affect your system's speed anyway.

Chrisf88

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
You're right, there isn't much of a difference in speed. I popped out one of the sticks in each channel so they would clock normally just to see the difference (only slightly faster). I'm just currently frustrated that I outted the extra money for the faster RAM and it's being clocked down. Didn't know if I could up the voltage or something of that nature to allow the computer to boot correctly while the RAM was set to 1066.

MaDMagik

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
I dont think changing voltage will help the case at all, as if I remember correctly the situation is down to a chipset or memory controller limitation. But as Mondoman said the difference wont really be noticable. But since you bought quality sticks you might try to tighten the timings to offset the loss of speed a bit.

Chrisf88

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Alrighty, i'll continue to fiddle with the timings to see what I can get out of them. Thanks for the input y'all.