Advice on SSD purchase needed

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Hello,

I was about to buy a SSD 1 month ago but then my graphics card suddenly broke and I had to send it to the retailer (since it was still under the warranty). Since they have been quite slow, I delayed my purchase of the SSD as well.

At first I settled on buying an Intel X25-M 160GB but I am a bit in doubt wether I should stick to this or go for the newer Crucial C300 128GB instead? Or maybe some other alternative?

I am also a bit in doubt whether or not how important the extra capacity of the Intel drive is gonna be. I plan on installing Windows 7 and other programs aswell like Photoshop, Premiere Pro and some 3D programs - also a game or two.

I dont have a motherboard that supports SATA 6Gbps, but I would like this drive to last through my next new PC as well :)

What would you advice me to do ?

I have 64-bit Windows 7 ultimate, Microsoft Visio 2007 & Office 2007 Pro, Adobe Web Premium CS4, and a bunch of other smaller programs installed on my Intel 160GB drive. I have a hibernation file that's about 10GB in size and no pagefile. That all comes out to about 55GB.

I too, expect the drive to last for at least 5 years or so, which is why I bought the 160GB drive vs. Intel's 80GB one. No regrets so far.

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Okay, thanks for your reply. Guess I just gotta think about exactly which programs I need and see how much that's gonna take :)

But no one got any comments about what drive to buy? The C300 128GB, Intel 160Gb or maybe a third option ?

sub mesa

Distinguished
I would bet on the Intel ones; its still very fast in random I/O; the other SSDs are faster in sequential write; but that''s not really what you need on your system drive.

Intel SSDs generally have no particular weakness and are good to excellent across the board; they also should have good support, and higher quality firmware releases; particularly OCZ has a bad track record.

Shad0w

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Im mostly thinking about the benefit of the Crucial drive being SATA 6Gbps so that I might get a good performance boost compared with the Intel drive when I get my next PC ? :)

SATA 6Gbps won't give you any benefit unless the drive itself is capable of transferring data faster than the SATA 3Gbps limit. So check the transfer specs of the drive - if it's transfer rates are beyond about 300MByte/sec, then it'll run faster with 6Gbps SATA. There are one or two SSD drives out there that are faster than 300MByte/sec, but most aren't.

Don't use transfer rate as the sole basis for your decision, though. Access time is really where you generally get the biggest boost. A drive with significantly shorter access times is probably going to work better for you than one with slightly higher transfer rates.

sub mesa

Distinguished
For SSDs perhaps the best benchmarks are:

- random read/write with queue depth of 1
- random read/write with queue depth of 32/64

Then you can see the effect of NCQ/AHCI and how fast the SSD can issue I/O in parallel. That would give a reasonable performance indication for many system disk related tasks.