Sign in with
Your question

It looks as if AMD did a price cut as well - Page 2

Last response: in CPUs
January 23, 2009 10:40:40 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Its not the best source, but
:The question is how low Intel can go with its Core 2 prices as AMD is offering similar or same clocked quad-cores for almost the same money and at least in some cases, quad-core will pay off. If we look in our crystal ball we believe than AMD will lead Intel to even bigger losses in 2009, as it's pricing is much less than many expected. "
From FUaD http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

Its no wonder why Jack calls Fuad an idiot.

If Fuad hasn't been slow to realize, AMD's actually following Intel's price cut. Therefore by following Intel's suit in reducing prices, AMD will actually hurt more than Intel, due to higher cost to manufacture, as well as less cash on hand to bleed. Think about it: AMD's going to use their flagship product (Phenom X4 II and X3s) to fight against Intel's mainstream market, who's going to lose more?
January 23, 2009 10:51:52 PM

Remember JDJ is the guy who thought AMD was going to surprise
everyone with a outstanding profit this quarter.
January 23, 2009 10:58:53 PM

Well it did surprise everyone with an "outstanding" profit this quarter ;) . Too bad AMD had to write it in red ink this time around.
Related resources
January 23, 2009 11:04:30 PM

Ummm, not sure where you got that from, maybe putting words in my mouth? Of course, it doesnt surprise me comiong from someone who didnt know FX was much faster clock for clock than P4, and saying P2=P1 clock for clock.
I agree, its a gutter fight from AMD, and theyre more apt to be losing those "prime" sales, but there isnt any, as youre well aware, since AMDs top isnt a 1000$ chip, and cant compete fully with such a chip, and AMD knows this, and is simply priced competitively, according to performance. BUT, its more than they were getting from their previous lineup, and way more competitive, possibly leading to greater sales as well
January 23, 2009 11:06:38 PM

Oh, and BTW, run that by Jack, and see what he says about that, as Im sure hed agree
January 23, 2009 11:10:49 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:

I agree, its a gutter fight from AMD, and theyre more apt to be losing those "prime" sales, but there isnt any, as youre well aware, since AMDs top isnt a 1000$ chip, and cant compete fully with such a chip, and AMD knows this, and is simply priced competitively, according to performance. BUT, its more than they were getting from their previous lineup, and way more competitive, possibly leading to greater sales as well

Priced competitively doesn't mean its a competitive product. GM's vehicles are all priced competitively, but are people buying them? I think you're confused as to which of them is passive, and which of them is aggressive.

Jack already said Fuad is an idiot. Enough said.
January 23, 2009 11:23:36 PM

Umm, if youre fighting for your very life, would you be passive? Time will tell on this, but Im thinking that AMD is passive is a wrong idea in all this. They have a cpu now that competes, and Ive seen a few happy comments from certain people regarding this, and admitting it as well. His name starts with a J, and Im not saying it was me, and it was on ES, and yes he looked happy with P2s pricing,availability, and its perf. FUaD isnt an idiot, he just doesnt get all the info he truly needs, and add in the sensationalism he has to bring, and he can be way off, or sensationally spot on. Its the style, the very product as a whole, and he isnt privy to many things he has to write about, but he has inklings, spots of info he tries to bring out in the bigger picture, and many times hes off target

It doesnt change the fact that P2 is a decent product, unless of course as Ive said, you want to eun down Kentsfield, as theres really not alot of difference between the 2. AM3 will be better, and closer to the Yorkies as well, and next people will be putting these down as well, which is akin to putting down Yorkies. Its up to anyone as to what they want to believe, as some have said P2=P1, but it doesnt matter, as the real people that have to sell these, andcome up with potential performance in a comparitive enviroment for sales for their products, as in the OEMs, which will prove whether P2 is decent or not, and not someones opinion of it here, mine included. Adding in the facts that P2 has much higher clocks, performs better clock for clock over P1, and is priced decently, it shows promise, and if thats hype, and if thats something someone cant deal with, its too bad
January 23, 2009 11:37:00 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Umm, if youre fighting for your very life, would you be passive? Time will tell on this, but Im thinking that AMD is passive is a wrong idea in all this. They have a cpu now that competes, and Ive seen a few happy comments from certain people regarding this, and admitting it as well. His name starts with a J, and Im not saying it was me, and it was on ES, and yes he looked happy with P2s pricing,availability, and its perf. FUaD isnt an idiot, he just doesnt get all the info he truly needs, and add in the sensationalism he has to bring, and he can be way off, or sensationally spot on. Its the style, the very product as a whole, and he isnt privy to many things he has to write about, but he has inklings, spots of info he tries to bring out in the bigger picture, and many times hes off target

True, if you're fighting for your life, chances are you're going to be aggressive. This is why AMD launched Phenom II. However when its direct competitor is dropping price, what's the only thing you can do? Yes, drop prices. No one would purchase Phenom II if its direct competition (Q9550/Q9400) is 20~40% off its original price. On the other hand, you can also argue that AMD's being aggressive by dropping prices. Either way, the fact that Intel's leading the direction cannot be disputed.

Fuad is an idiot, period. You're talking about the guy who took the news on Onion as a real news (Macbook Wheel). His poor analytical skills are bar second to none. Its not about the information. I deduced my conclusion from what he posted, yet its obvious that he's clouded by his own bias. In fact, since he's a journalist, he should have MORE information than most of us do. The fact that he could not write a level-headed news without bring his sensation in is an indication of how poor he is as a journalist.

It doesnt change the fact that P2 is a decent product, unless of course as Ive said, you want to eun down Kentsfield, as theres really not alot of difference between the 2. AM3 will be better, and closer to the Yorkies as well, and next people will be putting these down as well, which is akin to putting down Yorkies. Its up to anyone as to what they want to believe, as some have said P2=P1, but it doesnt matter, as the real people that have to sell these, andcome up with potential performance in a comparitive enviroment for sales for their products, as in the OEMs, which will prove whether P2 is decent or not, and not someones opinion of it here, mine included. Adding in the facts that P2 has much higher clocks, performs better clock for clock over P1, and is priced decently, it shows promise, and if thats hype, and if thats something someone cant deal with, its too bad said:
It doesnt change the fact that P2 is a decent product, unless of course as Ive said, you want to eun down Kentsfield, as theres really not alot of difference between the 2. AM3 will be better, and closer to the Yorkies as well, and next people will be putting these down as well, which is akin to putting down Yorkies. Its up to anyone as to what they want to believe, as some have said P2=P1, but it doesnt matter, as the real people that have to sell these, andcome up with potential performance in a comparitive enviroment for sales for their products, as in the OEMs, which will prove whether P2 is decent or not, and not someones opinion of it here, mine included. Adding in the facts that P2 has much higher clocks, performs better clock for clock over P1, and is priced decently, it shows promise, and if thats hype, and if thats something someone cant deal with, its too bad

You're completely off the base. I've never once said Phenom II was a bad product. Phenom II is a great product, and what it should have been 2 years ago when AMD launched Phenom in 2007. But regardless of how fantastic of a product it is, its still not competitive enough to warrant higher price, higher margin. Its still not competitive enough to get AMD out of the hole they're in at this moment. Its still not competitive enough that everyone will jump on the gun. AMD's not in the market to come up with the most fantastic processor out there. They're in this market to make money. Without good margin, they cannot make good money. Its as simple as that.

It also doesn't help AMD when the desktop market is shrinking.

Again, using your favorite phrase, time will tell. Unfortunately time just told you that AMD has just suffered a significant loss, and they're further in the hole.
January 24, 2009 12:05:50 AM

So, you agree that P2 is competitive? And that their margins/marketshare wont grow at all? And that even tho their lineup is now much higher priced than their previous lineup, and performs comparably with its competition in price/perf, that wont lead to more monies? I dont know the prices, but whats a 9850 going for before P2s release? Was it 235$ ? And that cpu is over 20% slower all around, in everything, at least, and yet they sold them still. So, your conclusion is, even with a 20+% better product that sells less Price/perf than the competiton, which AMDs previously couldnt even touch wont lead to better sales? Im thinking Intel isnt that invulnerable, and we all expected price cuts from the intro price as well, as theyve taken a differing approach as to their pricing, Id suggest more of what youve seen since the 4xxx release in gpus. Maybe Intel planned what they planned, or it was kneejerk as to the exact amounts of price cuts, according to AMDs new cpu releases abilities, no one may never know, but if people want to use anything and everything Ive ever posted against me, please also post the things Ive said all along that show me as being right as well, like initial release price points wont hold, andd therell be price reductions, especially with AM3 right around the corner.
So, to say Intel forced AMDs hand here, at least to me is foolish, as Ive said all along the price reductions would be coming. As to how much Intel reduced their prices, know one knew what theyd be, including Intel, until they saw and knew AMDs potential, and needed to price accordingly
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2009 12:09:20 AM

that was pure rambling.
January 24, 2009 12:13:34 AM

i think your right there jdj. Intel priced a couple high end core2 quads down in the neighborhood of the ghetto quads they had. sure inventory probably played into it but the timing of a good product from the competitor could have nudged it along a little faster and a little deeper than they ever intended. once again, everybody benefits. cheaper Intel, cheaper AMD. imagine how long a q9550 would remain 500+ dollars if there was never a p2.
January 24, 2009 12:13:35 AM

If so, its better than insulting
January 24, 2009 12:18:54 AM

roofus said:
i think your right there jdj. Intel priced a couple high end core2 quads down in the neighborhood of the ghetto quads they had. sure inventory probably played into it but the timing of a good product from the competitor could have nudged it along a little faster and a little deeper than they ever intended. once again, everybody benefits. cheaper Intel, cheaper AMD. imagine how long a q9550 would remain 500+ dollars if there was never a p2.

You see, the problem with this is, fanbois cant see this, and it cant be used at all in their philosophy. I think its great, others try to say how bad it is for AMD. All I see is a few things, more prfoits, as AMDs top cpu pricing is higher than it was, and its much more competitive as well, meaning more sales, and all for less than we had a month ago, and its by Intels graciousness? Oh yea, like AMD hasnt been accused of not trying to make a prfoit by all its losses, but when Intel lowers its prices right after AMDs release, its graciousness, and less profits for them
January 24, 2009 12:23:20 AM

if one was to be a blue camp fanboi they should PRAY AMD gets out of the red. i remember quite well the cost of a CPU when it was Intel and all the others were just essentially subcontractors to fill orders for them. you put that on a scale now with the value of a dollar and inflation every CPU you bought would be like buying a freakin Exteme edition in price.
January 24, 2009 12:32:52 AM

I remember back in the day, when it was a serious decision as to whether we should upgrade our cpu in our old I think it was a 486 at the time. And this was for a business too. Competitions good for all, but a fanbois nightmare
a b à CPUs
January 24, 2009 1:19:38 AM

roofus said:
if one was to be a blue camp fanboi they should PRAY AMD gets out of the red. i remember quite well the cost of a CPU when it was Intel and all the others were just essentially subcontractors to fill orders for them. you put that on a scale now with the value of a dollar and inflation every CPU you bought would be like buying a freakin Exteme edition in price.

If Intel became super expensive and AMD died, either no one would upgrade or people might all buy a company like VIA.
January 24, 2009 4:56:47 PM

yomamafor1 said:
Priced competitively doesn't mean its a competitive product. GM's vehicles are all priced competitively, but are people buying them? I think you're confused as to which of them is passive, and which of them is aggressive.

Jack already said Fuad is an idiot. Enough said.

Word, Playa.
      • 2 / 2
!