Sign in with
Your question

Raid 1 Data Drives

Last response: in Storage
March 30, 2010 5:40:46 PM

I recently had a hard drive failure and lost a good deal of data. So I bought 3 new drives with the intension of using 1 drive as my system drive, then using the other two as a data drive in RAID 1 configuration so if either failed I would not lose the data.

I installed XP Pro on one of the new drives and got it up and running. I then put the two other drives in, configured my MB for raid and went through the process of creating a RAID 1 array with the two new drives within the MB RAID setup. When it asked me to restart, my screen flashed the blue screen of death for about a 1/4 of a second, then the windows startup screen for a 1/4 of a second, then it would reboot and continue that same pattern indefinitely.

I asked gigabyte tech support about it and here is their reply...

"Unfortunately the raid array will need to be done from the start, you will not be able to add existing drive to part of the raid. All will need to be done before the OS loads up. Please backup all data and reload the raid and reload the OS"

Now either he didn't understand what I was trying to do, or I can't create a raid without installing an operating system on it.

If anyone can offer suggestions that would be great. My ultimate goal is to have duplicate copies of all my files in the event of a hard drive failure. However that happens I don't care. If there are better ways of achieving that I'm all ears. I just don't want to have to remember to back things up on a regular basis. I just want to set it and forget it.

I'm using the gigabyte s-series GA-EP45-DS4P motherboard and three 640GB WD caviar black drives.

Thanks

More about : raid data drives

a b G Storage
March 30, 2010 5:56:56 PM

RAID does NOT replace backup. It does offer redundancy against mechanical failure of a drive, but not:

OS corruption
accidental deletion
power surges that take out multiple pieces of hardware
virus or malware that deletes files
etc

Return 1 HD, get an external drive with some backup software. You can schedule stuff, or some of them have a "1 touch" type setup where you plug in the drive & press a button, and it does backup. When done, unplug the drive & store it away from the computer.

Or, online backup, probably also can be automated.
m
l
a b G Storage
March 30, 2010 6:00:48 PM

I think the problem your having is that you setup the computer without raid. You then enabled raid on the controller with the boot drive. XP didn't have the driver needed for the raid controller and thus the blue screen.
Sounds like you will need to reinstall with the raid controller enabled. Once that is done you can then configure the other drives.
m
l
March 31, 2010 9:28:39 PM

XP needs RAID Drivers installed during the initial phase of it's installation, or prior to the installation of the RAID array. Have them handy on a floppy disk (yes, floppy - no getting around that) and reinstall.
m
l
!