Normal ASUS HD4870 Temperatures

gravyface

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Read through a couple reviews and forum posts and 70 degrees (Celsius) is apparently normal at idle, so I've changed ASUS SmartDoctor (grabbed latest version as well) to have:
- Overheat protection on
- Smart Cooling Temperature Boundaries: Fastest: 80, Fast: 76, Medium: 74, Slow: 60 - 73
- HyperDrive disabled
- no overclocking

My room is a few degrees cooler than room temperature.

Basically I'm after the lowest fan speed (off?) I can get away when not gaming, and a reasonable Hoover volume while gaming. Right now, the fan's going on and off as I type this and it's kind of annoying... started at 60 for the low and now up to 73 but even the low setting sounds fairly loud.

I haven't bought a new machine in years, so I'm not really down with all this new-fangled madness... what kind of temps are safe? What kind of fan settings should I use?

murdoc

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Well generally speaking the Video card can take up to around 100 degrees celcius although that of course is not recommended. The max the card can go before it blow is around 120 degrees celcius.

From what i know, ATI card's fan controls are really messed up. My fan doesn't even spin by default even when the card reaches around 60 degrees. I would say the best way to do it is get either ATI Tray tools, ATI tool or ATI CCC and set the fan speed to a fixed minimum of 28 constant. If you're skeptical about the temps then set it to 30. I'm running at 30% constant and the noise is bearable while keeping my temps no more than 65ish.

gravyface

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Yeah, I set mine to 30% last night and it's been idling between 53-55 C. I'm going to tuck into some Call of Duty WaW and see how it goes.

gravyface

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Ok, I'm playing a frickin' 2D turn-based game and the fan keeps jumping up to 50% after I've forced it to 30% in ATI Tools' manual mode. I've now set it to "Automatic depending on temperature" using the default temp-to-speed settings. Hopefully that helps.