Overclocking AMD Phenom 9950 BE

Hi guys, i have the Phenom 9950 Black Edition the 125w one. i recently got the Cooler Master V8. i dould only reach a maximum speed of 3.1 GHz, and it's not enough :( !

I was able to reach 3.0 GHz with my stock cooler :??: , it's not fare that the mighty V8 only give me a 100 MHz boost !!!!

please guide me guys :D
11 answers Last reply
More about overclocking phenom 9950
  1. Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

The problem isn't your cooler, your CPU is the 1st Phenom generation, that isn't a very good OC CPU qand only can hit the 3.0GHz or 3.1 GHz stable.
  2. Thank you very mutch for you comment saint ..

well, i saw a lot of pics about the same 9950 125 CPU, they reach 3.2 or maybe 3.3 !
    you can just google it, i tried to do as same as they did, but it's just not stable, i think the problem i have is from the mobo it's old ! it's the ASUS M2N32 SLi Deluxe WE, maybe thats the reason !
  3. ^Well, you are right. You need a good mobo too for a good OC, but I think that your mobo must be enough. Try update the BIOS, but like I said, the 1st Phenom generation isn't a very good OC CPU.
  4. Thank you aain saint

mmm

my mobo is already updated with latest update ..

im trying now to reach 3.2 !

some advices ???
  5. Well, OC your processor to a stable frecuency. Run prime95 for at least 1 hour, and after that, try to OC a little more, run the test again....and do the same 'till you can get the max stable OC for your CPU.
  6. i did that, the maximum speed i could reach with the V8 cooler is 3.1 GHz which and it's only a 100 GHz more than I was able to reach with my stock one !
  7. What voltage do you use for the 3.1GHz?
  8. I think it's 1.35 or 1.40, it was working for about 3 or 4 hours and then it never worked at this speed again !
  9. ^Well, tha's 'cause the max voltage of the Phenom 9950 is 1.3, you can see the specifications here.

Now, I think that you need more that 1.3V for a stable OC, voltage that your processor maybe can support for a few hours, BUT not forever, eve, this can kill your CPU.
  10. Ok i'll try to do something else

anyway thanks for the help saint
  11. Any time, that's why we are here. Good luck.
Ask a new question

Read More

AMD Overclocking Cooler Master Phenom