Am I choosing well? E8500

G

I'm ready to buy today. I do photography for a living and and I process LOTS of images from 2 1Ds cameras.

I picked E8500 due to excellent benchmarks here PLUS ability to OC ! I only use Photoshop (w Genuine Fractal Print Pro interpolator - a PS plug-in).

Given my work and current pricing, is E8500 my best choice?

Also who has best pricing?

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
gahh damn you!!! beat me to it :D

Q6600 is about a tenner cheaper here in the UK and it can be easily clocked to 3GHz. Will pwn the E8500 in photoshop.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
The Q6600 will outperform the E8500 in most everything and if you set it to 3.4 Ghz+ it will scream. That said you could save some money and get an E5200 which will overclock the same as an E8500 and only costs $80. I know that Photoshop is not all that quadcore optimized, but it will be in time.

G

Photoshop CS2
Genuine Fractal PrintPro5
Old PageMaker (rarely but needed)

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
At the least it will do the same as a dualcore. Maybe a little slower, but if a program only uses 1-2 cores you still have 2 others meaning that the 1-2 cores the software is using can be completely dedicated to that software and nothing else, this gives a performance boost that most don't realize. This is coming from a guy that still uses a dualcore so I'm not biased like some others are when this question pops up... The quad is better trust us. That said you could save a lot of money on an E5200 so it is all up to you. (The E5200 is the same as an E8500 just with slightly less cache which wont actually make a difference, yet it generally overclocks better too.) It is all up to you, you spend your money so you should get what you want.

G

Im considering quad based on expert comments here. s Intel pricing the same everywhere ? Who has the best price in a Q6600?

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
E5200 vs. E8500 depends on your bravery in overclocking. The E8500 is fast at stock speeds, and a quick setting on the motherboard will get it 20% faster. Another 20% might be possible if you are brave and work at it for awhile, but before even trying this it will be really fast.

The E5200 can be overclocked up to 60% above its stock speed, if you work at it hard enough by changing settings and doing stress tests. Just depends on how hard you want to work at it and how much time you are willing to spend.

I put an E8500 in my CAD workstation at work, set it to 3.8GHz, and went on with my work. I didn't spend much time tinkering with settings or stress testing it. I'm about to build a new machine for home use, and I'm almost set on the E5200 for it. I'm running Photoshop Elements 6 at home, otherwise any modern CPU at stock speeds would probably be enough for me.

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Actually, what is your RAM pchaplo. Raven, from saying that The E5200 oc's the same as the 8500 is partially correct. The cache is a big matter if he is using more up-to-date components. Say he gets the E5200 with the more updates gig/and the 750w psu. In this case, will need to generate more cache from the cpu. Plus your talkng about oc'ing which will cause more stress on an older model which can cause it to flake out sooner than usual. Not knowing what his RAM is I could possibly be wrong

G

for me the choice is E8500 VS. Q6600 now. forget the E5200 for this build. currently 4 gb 1066 ram - with future upgrade to 8-16mg. RAM is very important for Photoshop. Im in transition mode and so Im thinking toward the future. I will use this machine for 3 years. I start with XP Pro 31-bit, then watch Windows 7 (or Vista 64-bit) and work into that in a year or so, then add ram probably 8 or 16 mb as I mentioned, this is my living. I like that the E8500 runs well stock, and minor tweak makes it even better.

what Im finding for prices: I can get the E8500 for less ($6) with code I have from Newegg. If there is an email special on Q6600, or if recent price cut by Intel will affect Q6600 in a few days, give me a heads up!

G

I now have a code for $5 off either E8500 or Q6600 = same price. ($1 difference). Price is not the determining factor if I shop Newegg. ($183 vs. $184 w/ $5 discount codes).

G

correction: I start with XP Pro 32-bit, then look at upgrade to 64-bit either XP, Vista, - but more at W7 if it can run lean w/o gobbling up ram.

fullmetall

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Yea, remember though, Windows 7 as of i've heard can run either core at diferent times for different things, making the quad more active. Instead of the windows today, pausing some cores and running others for gaming, now its using cores to download/watchmovies/run games/etc. at the same time with no interference. Dual cores are dieing out now a days. but the dual e8500 is still a good chip

Godiwa

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
I run the E8500 and it is LOVELY much more power then I ever expected, and plenty power to last me quite some time :) No need for overkill.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008

I built 1 system with an E5200 and it is an overclocking monster! 12.5 multiplier! Set to 4.0 Ghz after a slight voltage increase. Hits 4.8 on water, a true monster.

G

I will start with an E8500 that runs fast stock for my photo work computer. perhaps down the road, as I learn to do OC, I will build a hot little machine and tweak a E5200 into a "monster" - sounds like fun!

This is my first build, and its my work computer,

I run the E8500 and it is LOVELY much more power then I ever expected

that comment sounds like what I want. thank you all ! I learned alot - esp that down the road when I play, I will make a E5200 toasty and screaming lol