Sign in with
Your question

Will Prolimatech Megahalems fit?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 19, 2010 12:35:45 PM

Im a noob at cpu cooler so asking for advice. From looking at many cpu reviews, Prolimatech Megahalems rev.b seems to be the best cpu for the price. Do you know if this cooler and a hd5870 fit a antec 900/902 or CM storm scout well?
A noob question. Do I need to buy a fan for the Prolimatech Megahalems or is it fine just by itself? I seen people using one or two on theirs.
February 20, 2010 8:08:32 PM

It should fit, and it doesn't come with a fan. You probably need one but it does depend on what your cooling, you probably don't need two though.

The megahalem is by all means NOT the best cooler for the price, are core conact freezer or a scythe mugen or a cooler master hyper 212 are.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 21, 2010 7:40:43 AM

The Scythe Mugen will not allow for a side for in an Antec 902, but the 5870 will have to go a non-HDDless spot. I would opt for the cheaper coolers unless you're looking to OC an i7 past 4ghz.
m
l
Related resources
February 26, 2010 4:57:01 AM

yeah the 5970 had to go to a non hddless spot on my CM centrio 5 case. So I should go for a cheaper cooler like scythe, core contact, hyper 212, then the prolimatech megahalem?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 4, 2010 4:03:52 AM

also you have to realize this thing is big so it might not fit in your case if its narrow so dont do like my friend did buy a core contact freeze and then have to get a case to fit the heatsink in. pretty sure the one your looking at is 150mm plus tall. to lazy to look it up
m
l
March 4, 2010 11:14:52 AM

mattidallama said:
also you have to realize this thing is big so it might not fit in your case if its narrow so dont do like my friend did buy a core contact freeze and then have to get a case to fit the heatsink in. pretty sure the one your looking at is 150mm plus tall. to lazy to look it up

Just to piggy back on your reply,

I, lol its funny to me, bought an Azza Solano 1000 case, core contact freezer w/ fan, and 4 sticks of g.skill ripjaws. on an MSI 980 board.

Anyways, after installing the core contact, i noticed the cooler fan was going to be slightly hanging over the RAM slots. I installed the RAM first. Then i put the fan in and had to adjust the fan higher on the cooler than normal, and it was still slightly touching the ram heatsink. The actual case has a 230mm side fan.... yea, it did not fit...What i decided was to disconnect the fan and the outside bracket holding the screws in and flip flopped the two. The fan is now on the outside of the case and the little designer bracket is on the inside. I have to find some nuts and bolts to hold the screen on as well.

Moral of the story is, You can make it work! :pt1cable:  :lol:  :kaola:  :bounce:  I can post pics if you really wanna see.

The Azza solano 1000 is pretty much like an Antec 900.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
March 5, 2010 12:37:48 AM

ya the fan on my case is with in 2 mm of touching my core contact freezer and if it had not fit i would have removed the fan and just kept the grill in place. these tower coolers are so freaking tall.
m
l
!