PC not booting properly

chrbal6406

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Hi everyone,

I just got a new computer a day ago and everything went great. Installed a new n460 gtx graphics card and was up and running. Running for about 14 hours or so for that matter. This morning, I went to boot up the computer and it is freezing at the mobo spash screen. I can hit F8 repeatedly to boot up normally and I can reset no problem. This is only happening when I boot after complete shutdown. If anyone would know why this is happening or how to fix this would be great. Here are my specs.

Brand- CyberpowerPC
Processor- AMD Phenom II X4 925 2.8GHz
Processor Main Features- 64 bit Quad-Core Processor
Memory- 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333
Hard Drive- 1TB (1 x 1TB) SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 7200RPM HDD
Optical Drive- 1 24X DVD±R/±RW Dual Layer Drive
Graphics- MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
Audio Sound card - Integrated
Ethernet 10/100/1000Mbps
Power Supply- 600W
Operating System- Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

I can't tell you, but I can repeat the well-worn mantra for identifying problems.

Remove as many components as possible and see if it gets better. If it does, put them back, one at a time, until you find what broke.

If your motherboard has onboard graphics, pull the graphics card.
Since you are not getting into BIOS, pull the hard drive and optical drive.
If the motherboard allows booting on one channel of memory, pull one memory stick. If it still fails, swap memory sticks.

Unplug and re-plug the keyboard, mouse, and monitor, just to be sure.

Then tell us what happened and we'll figure out the next step from there. That's a lot of graphics card; maybe it will boot better without it. Besides, when the story is "My car ran fine until I installed the FrooDoohickey carburetor," the first step is to try it with the old carburetor. Yours is a slightly different case, since the PC does not have a history of running with a different graphics card.

A 600W power supply may be cutting it a little fine for that card, depending on what other power is being drawn in the PC.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Might be he forgot to shut off the onboard video and that's creating the clash on boot.
Also make sure first video device on boot in Bios is your PCI-Ex16.
PSU might be a problem for the system, I run a 650W on a socket 478 system.

chrbal6406

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks WyomingKnott and Cyberat_88. I installed a new 750W Corsair PSU with 60A +12V rail and haven't had any more problems. The XtremeGear PSU in there before is the biggest POS I have ever seen. When I ordered the computer, I thought "Great, a nice power wattage should mean I can run just about anything." Well, that was definately not the case. The PSU only had 30A max on the +12V rail. I though I misread it for a second and had to check again. It only had 2 (only 2!) sata power connectors and two peripheral connectors. The fans were all running off of one peripheral supply. It was rediculous.

TRENDING THREADS