Linux on a Palm Zire 31

April 9, 2005 5:18:47 PM

Hello Everybody,

I'm currently working on getting Linux working on my Palm Zire 31 (Intel
StrongArm 200Mhz with PalmOS 5.2.8).

I'm now working on getting kernel 2.6.11.7 working, but I need a
bootloader. I've been googleling voor nearly 2 hours, and I can't find
anything what I need. Do you know any bootloader that I know that is
usuable, or should I code something.

Friendly greets,

Sander van Kasteel

More about : linux palm zire

Anonymous
April 11, 2005 3:02:11 PM

In article <pan.2005.04.09.11.18.47.215472@wanadoo.nl>, Sander van Kasteel
wrote:

> I'm now working on getting kernel 2.6.11.7 working, but I need a
> bootloader. I've been googleling voor nearly 2 hours, and I can't find
> anything what I need. Do you know any bootloader that I know that is
> usuable, or should I code something.

I think you'll need to study the hardware and code something. Palms
have fairly unique hardware and I don't think you'll find something
ready-made that'll do it. I see you already know about
http://palmtelinux.sourceforge.net/ so I'd ask them for suggestions
and info.

--
Sincerely,

Ray Ingles (313) 227-2317

"Windows XP... is the 'most reliable Windows ever'. To me,
this like saying that asparagus is 'the most articulate
vegetable ever'." - Dave Barry
Anonymous
April 11, 2005 9:55:18 PM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:02:11 -0400, Ray Ingles wrote:

> In article <pan.2005.04.09.11.18.47.215472@wanadoo.nl>, Sander van Kasteel
> wrote:
>
>> I'm now working on getting kernel 2.6.11.7 working, but I need a
>> bootloader. I've been googleling voor nearly 2 hours, and I can't find
>> anything what I need. Do you know any bootloader that I know that is
>> usuable, or should I code something.
>
> I think you'll need to study the hardware and code something. Palms
> have fairly unique hardware and I don't think you'll find something
> ready-made that'll do it. I see you already know about
> http://palmtelinux.sourceforge.net/ so I'd ask them for suggestions
> and info.

Hello Ray,

I'm currently working on a port. I've all ready opened my Zire 31 because
I wanted hard proof of what kind of hardware I have. But that was no trace
of anything usable expect, this serial number (I guess) "WM971242A06XC"
(without the quote of course).

I've made a picture of it...
http://sandervankasteel.homelinux.net/Zire-31/zire-open...

It's not clear, but it's a picture. I've been able to identify some parts,
the battery (duh), the SD-card socket and the CPU ?. On the "CPU" is a
kind of rubber/plastic thing I could't remove.

Greets,

Sander van Kasteel

Greets,

Sander van Kasteel
April 12, 2005 12:33:15 AM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:55:18 +0200, Sander van Kasteel wrote:

> It's not clear, but it's a picture. I've been able to identify some parts,
> the battery (duh), the SD-card socket and the CPU ?. On the "CPU" is a
> kind of rubber/plastic thing I could't remove.

Palm provides schematics. You might want to start there.
Anonymous
April 12, 2005 2:22:04 PM

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 20:33:15 -0400, David A. Desrosiers wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 17:55:18 +0200, Sander van Kasteel wrote:
>
>> It's not clear, but it's a picture. I've been able to identify some parts,
>> the battery (duh), the SD-card socket and the CPU ?. On the "CPU" is a
>> kind of rubber/plastic thing I could't remove.
>
> Palm provides schematics. You might want to start there.

Hello,

Where are they, because I've searched the whole webpage of Palm,
PalmSource and Palmos.com , but I couldn't find them :S

Greets,

Sander van Kasteel
!