Amd 965 running hot at stock speed

ellric46

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
hi guys trying to overclock my amd 965 be but its running at 40 c right off the bat i have a huge antec cooler running at 100% fan speed i am useing silver 5 compund but temps seem a littel hi dont believe its a air flow problem the case is a xclio that has 3 side fans 3 front fans 2 back fans and 2 top fans i tried both the bois settings and then i tried amd overdrive witch seemed to do a little better but still when i overclock to 3.7 ghz it idles around 44 c and when i stess test it the temps max out at 53 to 54 c if there is anything u can do to help or if u need more info just let me know thanks

Solution

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
It's possible you might have to reapply the Arctic Silver 5. Did you spread it out before putting on the HSF or did you just put a glob in the middle and let the pressure spread it out? I remember applying Arctic Silver 5 on my GPU and North/Southbridges using the spread method and temps went up 20C. After reapplying using the glob/"dot" method, temps went lower than they were originally.

What exactly is the model of your Antec HSF? I use a Scythe Mugen 2 and with my 955 @ 3.8ghz 1.4v, I idle at 31-33°C and load at 40°C. If I OCed to 4ghz 1.52v I get similar temps, idle @ 40-44°C and load @ 55-57°C

For your airflow, make sure that you either have more CFMs coming in or going out.
Ex: front/side intakes are set on low and rear/top exhausts are set on max for a negative pressure airflow (lowest temps)

dgt02

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
If your max stays at 54C it's OK as the 965 has a max of 62. A low/idle of 40C seems a little high. If that bothers you, the Corsair H50 self contained/sealed liquid cooling system seems good to me - idle 23C, Max 40C on a 965 OC'd at 3.8 running FSX - it's $80. Comes with past already appied and bracket for AMD now.

http://www.corsair.com/products/h50/Default.aspx

You need to remove the motherboard to put the backplate on a standard Mobo (not for a Dell/proprietary system). They recommend you mount with fan blowing into case, but if you have top fans blowing out, s/b fine.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=910

I could only find one Antec CPU cooler via a quick google search. This unit might not have what it takes to cool a 965 properly. If you are operating your computer in a hot ambient environment, then no amount of case fans are going to help you cool a cpu that can't evacuate the heat efficiently.

You say that these are stress temps. Can you describe what process you use to stress the CPU and measure the temps?

ellric46

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
thanks guys for the info using everest burnin test and i did spread the silver 5 compund found a few things that was giveing me some of the heat trouble one was that on this case it has dust pads on the grills so i took the pads off the grills and the inside temps droped 8c the pads keep the dust out but seem to block alot of airflow all so i went back did some reading and jumped my cpu vlt up to 1.400 runs much stable and all so increased nb vlt as well now running at 3.978 and temps r 38 c at idle and 48-52 doing burn in test thinks guys for all the help dont think i can get much more with air cooling than this but thinking about water cooling sense this case is so hug and has lots of room for it

Removing the dust grills is a good move they do restrict the airflow, however you'll need to do occasional inspections inside your case for dust accumulation to get a handle on how fast it accumulates so you can keep it blown out before serious accumulations occur.

You're reporting you Vcore at 1.400v you should be able to run 4Ghz at that voltage, I can run 4Ghz at 1.408v with FSB stock with a 20X multiplier, being air cooled with a Xigmatek S1283 cooler 29c idle 43c load.

One key ingredient to OCing an AMD BE unlocked multiplier CPU is to set your memory slot voltage and spec'd timings manually, then leave them at default settings and raise the multiplier and incrementally raise the CPUs Vcore until you get the proper voltage to run the new higher multiplier.

Once you discover the stable balance between multiplier and Vcore voltage, you're there, since your FSB is running at stock speeds nothing goes out of specification so as long as you're supplying enough Vcore voltage to run a higher multiplier, the only other thing you may have to tweak is some added N/B voltage.

Under those circumstances running long term bench burn in tests is not necessary, those tests run for long periods of time will actually shorten the life of your CPU, if you even look at what the benches do to your hardware, by slamming all 4 cores pedal to the metal, what applications do you know of that will use your CPU to that extent.

Here is my 965 settings for 4Ghz note the Buss and HT link speeds.

AMD9654G.jpg

Well if that hasn't gotten your attention this should, note the same as above with the only changes the Vcore and Multiplier.

AMD96542G.jpg

All with the same air cooling, in the same case, good luck with your OCing! Ryan

Note; The 4.2Ghz Vcore changes my temps to 32c idle and 46c load.

Additional Note to OP; I'm running a seriously modified case, my case airflow has been improved by approximately 50+ percent, also my Xigmatek cooler is modified, with an added 120mm fan, creating a push pull airflow effect, it has also been lapped and I made a special hand made mounting bracket for it to change its orientation airflow inside my case.

So FYI there are additional advantages to get the end result temperatures I'm getting on air cooling and you may not get those results even with the same hardware, unless you had taken the same performance steps I had, but the overall temperatures of the AMD CPU are critical to getting as much as you can from them.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Damn 4ryan6, my c3 965 gobbles far more volts than yours does to stabilize at those speeds. I can run 3.8ghz stable at 1.36v, but the jump to 4ghz requires at least 1.44v, and my top OC run is limited to 4.2, as I needed 1.54v to stabilize (but not tested due to incapable HSF, 212+ arrives soon heh). It may be my motherboard, so I'll be sure to try again when I upgrade that (hopefully by the end of april).

ellric46

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
hi guys it me again just to let u know tryed some other things that seemed to have worked nicely i took out the slow running front and side fans on this xclio 1000 case the fans for some reason runs really slow for my taste so replaced them with the same size fans running 1600 rmp witch is 4 times faster then the fans that was on them to i hit the 4.1 ghz today running stable stop doing the burn in test after reading it could shorting the life of the cpu so now just running gpu test testing the 2 5870s been running stable for hours so thought i let u know my setting to see if the look ok to u guys-cpu voltage 1.4250, cpu nb 1.2, cpu nb freg 2550, ht link 2400, ht volt 1.2 nb volt 1.2,sb volts 1.2 allso moved up the dram voltage 1.9 some my memory is running at 1600 with 8,8,8,8,20 sofar so good o btw i allso change my cpu compund to tuniq tx3 and it drop the cpu temps alot more then i would have ever thought droped it 7c right off the bat so dont think silver 5 is as good as i thought it was lol temps now at idle r 36c and 40-48c running theses bench marks and thanks again guys some of u lead me to the right places to read and studie this and i thank u for it

Nice temps and low vcore ;)

My x4 can achieve 3.8Ghz with only 1.4v, wish I had the x2 555 just to compare the C2 vs. C3 (coming soon hopefully), anyways heres a few shots :

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/newidle.jpg
newidle.jpg

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/load38.jpg
load38.jpg

and after 4Ghz I have to give it a bit more juice to get full stability :

http://i683.photobucket.com/albums/vv199/OvrClkr/newtemp_41Ghz.png
newtemp_41Ghz.png

to the OP, just like Ryan pointed out.. Its all about the airflow ;)

It's the little things that you do to your case that yield the best results, heres n example :

MaikysPC038.jpg

I would ditch the antec cooler and get a 212+ or equivalent, that should do the trick ;)

Solution

ellric46

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
thnks for the tip ditched the antec cooler looks nice but does not do the job replaced with a zalman cnps9900aled running cpu at 4.2 ghz and cpu voltage at 4.500 cpu temps at idle r 31c and load is 48 c so thnks 4ryan6 for the tips and all the others who helps as well O by the way i dont stress test anymore after what u wrote i just run the everest benchmark test to test my load heat.