Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard Brands, Your Opinion

Tags:
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
February 24, 2009 7:35:39 PM

Okay, I know everyone has their own opinion on this so more feedback is better! I always thought of sticking with ASUS but I've been reading in reviews that they haven't been quite living up to their name.

In your opinion, which brand is currently the best for mobos?

Any one brand have a particularly good layout, integrated sound, bios, etc.?

I'm looking for more general opinions, but if anyone wants to know, I'm currently looking for a board to go with a new phenom II 940.

More about : motherboard brands opinion

February 25, 2009 8:40:36 AM

Gigabyte!!

Excellent stability, good overclockers, good cooling (brilliant in fact, those stock heatsinks are something else).

I am more of a Intel man so not sure on the layout of the AMD boards, but with mine all is fine except placing a 3rd party heatsink was a little tricky. lol it was actually the NB heatsink getting in the way.
a b V Motherboard
February 25, 2009 10:42:18 AM

I too like Gigabyte and a few others, but it does depend on the specific board as well. I've never had an issue with MSI or EVGA either.

Some companies build better boards in different areas.

Which board are you looking at? X58, P45, etc?
Related resources
February 25, 2009 1:41:36 PM

I've had 2 great Asus boards. Rock solid BIOS, great features, great overclocking. I hear lots of good things about Gigabyte, but I've yet to build with one of theirs. Also, I recently added an EVGA video card to my rig, and I'm very impressed with their community and would like to build something with one of their mobos.
February 26, 2009 12:29:28 AM

Yes, if I can find a solid MB and i7 920 for a great price I'll switch from the Phenom II (which is just to save money). I prefer Intel as well it's just that they are so popular right now they don't have any deals.

I prefer EVGA for nvidia cards (though this setup will be using an Sapphire ATI 4850), anyone have great experiences from EVGA motherboards?? Right now it's probably in between them, ASUS, and Gigabyte. Sticking with ATX form factor.

For AMD I'd probably go Asus M4A79 Deluxe as of now, For i7 I'd either go with ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 or EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1.
a b V Motherboard
February 28, 2009 1:54:23 PM

If you look around, you can find the p6t from Asus for something like $250 or so and the i7 920 for only $230 (both microcenter).
February 28, 2009 9:33:40 PM

Uh, yeah, that sounds like a good deal...if you actually trust microcenter. I looked up their reseller rating and they got a 3/10. No thanks, I'll just wait for newegg or someone more reputable to come down.
March 1, 2009 3:55:17 AM

I'm an Intel fan as well... And I always been a firm believer in keeping the brands the same... Intel CPU-Intel Motherboard...
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2009 2:21:19 PM

I have had no problems with microcenter at all. They have store in MI and have always been extremely easy to deal with.

I have a buddy that got a laptop from there that got damaged. He had a warranty and with no questions asked, they replaced it and gave him the extra money as a gift card.

I don't know where the 3/10 rating came from, but I always take ratings with a grain of salt. I have seen numerous cases where people who don't know what they are talking about rating places down because of their own stupidity.

Either way, good luck with the build.
March 1, 2009 10:44:18 PM

I have to agree with the ratings idea.
People that are happy tend to go about their way and people who have
had troubles tend to bitch about it.
April 6, 2010 4:54:58 PM

I am one who builds a new computer on average every two years. I build modest machines for others quite a bit more often. I have used a variety and worked with a wide variety of different brands of motherboards over the years. I just bought an Asrock brand board. Why I chose it was because I was looking for specific things. I have read enough reviews to know that I wanted, for my purposes, an Intel X58/ICH10R chipset for an I7 920 processor. I wanted an USB and Sata 2 board because I know the new boards with USB 3 and Sata 3 have to steal PCIe lanes from the graphics slots with the current chipsets and controllers available. As I plan to upgrade my machine at a future date, I wanted a platform that would be able to be crossfire and to take the newest Intel 6 core processor that is rumored to be coming out. As I want my machine to be primarily a gaming machine, I am making these choices.

I chose Asrock based on customer feedback (how many people had problems with the board vs those who had no problems). The company is a second tier manufacturer, using the same mainstream parts that all the motherboard makers use. As far as quality and reliability, a smaller manufacturer can have as high a quality and reliability rating as a large manufacturer. I no longer buy the most popular brand. I know enough to choose based on the kind of machine performance I am aiming for and what the purpose the machine is going to be used for.
a c 156 V Motherboard
April 6, 2010 7:31:43 PM

insightdriver said:

I chose Asrock based on customer feedback (how many people had problems with the board vs those who had no problems). The company is a second tier manufacturer, using the same mainstream parts that all the motherboard makers use. As far as quality and reliability, a smaller manufacturer can have as high a quality and reliability rating as a large manufacturer. I no longer buy the most popular brand. I know enough to choose based on the kind of machine performance I am aiming for and what the purpose the machine is going to be used for.

And you still bought an Asrock. :) 

Asrock is basically econo-Asus.

And if I were getting an X58 board, I'd get SATA 3 and USB 3. An X58 board has lots more PCIe lanes to share.
a b V Motherboard
April 6, 2010 10:25:45 PM

I wouldn't have gone for an Asrock, just from personal preference I've had too many friends have problems with them. Good luck with the board though. Hope it works out well for you! I personally have been in love with MSI lately- great layouts and features, plus they even look nice with the black PCB and blue components etc.
!