Way to use pc from home at school

stevenlikesfishing

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
hey guys,

at school we have old windows xp machines from 2002 :/ they have 256mb of ram and an intel pentium 4 :cry: . the teacher excepts us to make graphic designs in word for projects. this is crazy i told him and we need new machines or at least more ram! so im wondering if theres a way to use my pc at home at school and would it be good enough to remotely use like photoshop etc. I think I will try logmein. any ideas?

Hanyuu

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Logmein works, although with any remote desktop software the screen rendering is going to be slow, since it's running over the internet.

Still, it should be better than those pieces of crap.

You may have an issue running graphic programs over remote connections. Many of them require 32 bit color, and you'd have a hard time running that remotely if even the remote control program has that option.

AutoCAD I know has an issue, some scientific programs I work with also, they don't even run well in a virtual machine.

You can also have an issue getting a connection to your home PC from the school network if they setup their security properly. Basically, you need to yell at them to get real computers for the work needed. Or find some business that are tossing equipment and get them to donate.