no video signal with new card

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Graphics Cards
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
October 26, 2008 9:45:16 PM

Hello all,

I was recently given an ATI x1900xt video card and was eager to install it as i've currently got an x800xt. I realize that both of these are sort of out of date, but i figured i could at least play some STALKER and Left4Dead (when it comes out). Problem is, once the card is installed i get absolutely no video signal. I can't even see the boot up to get to CMOS, however i do know that the computer IS booting up and it IS making it all the way to windows cause i can hear the log in chime/sound thing. I upgraded my PSU but still nothing. If i put in my old video card everything works fine, i get a signal and it works like it should. With the new card (x1900xt) the two red LED lights on the card don't show that there's anything wrong, the fans spin up, i get no error beeps, just a blank monitor. I installed the latest BIOS and it didn't help either. I've tried using both the DVI ports on the card too. I even tried using a VGA cable with a DVI adapater but it still didn't work.

I'm at a complete loss here. The thing that confuses me the most is that with the new card in, my computer makes it all the way to windows. And since i can't see the screen i have to power it down by holding in the power button and i get the windows exit chime/sound thing, indicating everything booted up just fine. I'd suspect the cable perhaps, but like i said, everything works perfectly when i put my old card back in. Oh, i forgot to mention that they are both PCI-express.

If anyone has any sugestions or ideas, i'd be grateful. I don't wanna just throw this card away but it's been nothing but frustrating as i was really hoping to get it to work. Thanks!

More about : video signal card

a c 113 B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2008 1:22:16 AM

Did you plug the power (6 pin) into the video card?

Is it seated properly?

Will the card work in a different computer?

October 27, 2008 2:37:49 PM

Yes the PCI-power cable is plugged in. I unplugged it and powered up my computer to see what it would do and the card has 2 built-in LEDs, one is for power and i forgot what the other is for, but anyways, with the 6-pin connector unplugged the LED light came on telling me "hey, where's my power!?", and the fan on the card didn't spin up. But plugged in i get no error lights, no error beeps and the fan on the card spins up like it's supposed to.

As far as seating the card, i've probably re-seated the card about 20 times now (seriously). At first i was hoping the issue was as simple as that, but everything works perfectly when i take out the new card and put the old card back in. But as soon as i put the new card in, it's a no go. And with no card in at all the computer won't boot up; i can only tell cause i hear no windows log in chime/sound thingy and i get a series of error beeps. I would think that if seating the card was the problem, perhaps 1 in the 20 times i've put the card in i would have at least got it seated properly once, but the fact that with the card installed it boots up all the way to windows leads me to believe it's seated correctly.

The only other home computer i have is AGP so i can't try this card in another computer. Although i could try sneaking it into a computer up at the office and try it there (our IT guys would freak out if they caught me switching out video cards though). However the person who gave me the card told me it was working fine when he took it out. That is a good sugestion though. I might give that a try as long as i don't get caught as the IT guys are pretty touchy about us messing about with the hardware.

I've read through the forums here regarding people with similar issues and it seems at some point eventually they are told to try removing and adding each system component one by one to rule out any incompatibilities. I thought about trying this, but would incompatible RAM allow the computer to boot up fully but somehow affect ONLY the video signal? Others have sugested updating the BIOS or upgrading the PSU, which is why i tried both of those before starting a new topic.

Like i said i might try installing it in a different computer, but i'll have to do that tomorrow here at the office, and when nobody is looking. Thank you for your input, i appreciate any and all help.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2008 4:29:39 PM

Did you get rid of the driver for the old card? The sequence normally would be:
1. With old card installed and working, go into Control Panel ... System ... Hardware ... Device Manager and delete the old card. This also deletes its drivers.
2. Reboot, and when the window pops up to say it found new hardware and will install the right drivers, tell it NOT to do that. It should then just use the basic VGA drivers and you get a simple, lower-res display.
3. Shut down and replace the card with the new card. It should be able to boot and use the new card with the basic VGA drivers, and agian it will say it found new hardware and wants to load its proper drivers. This time, say YES. If the drivers are on a CD or wherever, you may have to tell it where they are; otherwise it will just use the driver it can find on your hard disk.

If this sequence still gets you a blank screen during the boot with the new card (and only generic VGA drivers available), that really would point to a bad new card.
October 27, 2008 7:00:27 PM

I was planning on removing the old drivers and installing the new ones once i got a signal. I hadn't removed them yet cause i still needed the computer to be functional in case i had to put my old card back in, and i've had issues in the past with ATI's catalyst drivers, so i'm always reluctant to mess with them, but i'll uninstall them tonight. I didn't realize the video drivers affected the card pre-windows (like during the boot-up sequence). I'll give that a try.

Thanks for the sugestion.
October 28, 2008 9:55:01 PM

Ok, last night i did exactly as you sugested and uinstalled my drivers, rebooted to make sure it was working off of VGA drivers and installed the new card. It did the same thing it's been doing, booted up with no signal.

So today i brought it to work and put it in another computer up here. And still got nothing.

After talking to the guy i got it from, i found out that it came out of Mac workstation. He said he ordered it from Apple a year ago. I've looked the card over and can't anything on it the designates it as "mac only" and not compatible with PC (windows).

Does anyone know if video cards can be both mac and pc? I've looked online for posts regarding the same issues i'm dealing with and i've seen people posting who are successfuly using an AIT X1900XT in a PC, although i'd say about 60% of the results i got when searching for "ATI X1900XT" were posts from the mac side. I was under the impression the video card wouldn't care if it went in a mac or pc.

At this point i guess i'm out of options. Thanks again for your help!